AOWD & BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnsub

Registered
Reaction score
Hi.
I'm going to start my AOWD classes soon and i was considering buying a BP/W setup to do that since i'm starting to buy my own gear. Up unitl now (OWD and 4-5 dives) i was using a jacket BCD. In my opinion i can get used to the BP/W setup while doing the AOWD and my instructor will be there helping me out getting familiar with it. Whats your thoughts? Is this a good move?

There is nothing wrong with doing that. If that's the gear you want, get it and use it.

I will say up front that some instructors may not be familiar with a bp/w system, and may feel uncomfortable having you in that gear. However, if your instructor is ok with it, then go for it. If he's not -- find another instructor.

Hi.
I'm going to start my AOWD classes soon and i was considering buying a BP/W setup to do that since i'm starting to buy my own gear. Up unitl now (OWD and 4-5 dives) i was using a jacket BCD. In my opinion i can get used to the BP/W setup while doing the AOWD and my instructor will be there helping me out getting familiar with it. Whats your thoughts? Is this a good move?

That is what I did and I have never gone back. If you are diving new gear, I would recommend trying to do a control dive first, rather than instantly taking that gear to 100' for a Deep Class, even with an instructor.

Adjusting a harness properly takes a bit of fiddling -- if your instructor is familiar with the equipment, go for it. Otherwise, I'd finish the class with him in whatever you are diving (if you want to finish the class with him) and then go find someone who is familiar with the equipment to help you set it up properly. THIS gentleman is a UTD instructor who teaches in Athens; I suspect he would be happy to help you get your gear sorted.

I concur with the other posters. BP&W has a lot of advantages, but can take some good advice and direction to set up perfectly.

Don't assume that every scuba instructor will be familiar with that equipment. You really need to find an instructor with a technical/cave background or one who, at least, dives with BP&W themselves.

The benefits of getting some direction when first using BP&W are so great... that there really should be some form of 'Intro to BP&W' course :D

Some intesting BP&W set-up videos here:

GUE BP&W 'How To'

GUE BP&W 'How To, Part 2'

Halcyon Dive Gear Set-Up and Troubleshooting

Post 2 is good.

Thanks everybody. Its nice getting helpful tips from you.

Kingpatzer, TSandM--> Haven't started the classes yet so i have the option of searching for an instructor that will be familiar with the equipment. The instructor you mentioned is working for a dive training center here in Athens but he is into technical diving, not recreational (i dont think they do AOWD classes). But i'm sure that they'll be glad to help me out set up and choose my gear since they are also selling Halcyon, DirZone products.

FireInMyBones--> Totaly agree with you. I'll never even think about taking the deep dive class with equipment that i'm diving with for the first time. A good instructor will point me to the direction you menetioned. Thats a good tip there to check if he's a good instructor or not, right?

DevonDiver--> My thoughts exactly. Most trainees in AOWD classes have Jacket BCDs so the instructor uses a jacket to demonstrate the correct behavior underwater. I dont know if its ok for the instructor to have someone in the group that has a different setup. It would certainly be nice if there was a group that was for AOWD with BP/W setups only or some kind of introduction class for those who want to take up the AOWD while diving with a BP/W setup. BTW thnx for the vids. :cheers:

johnsub, I would be surprised if the fellow I linked to isn't teaching Essentials classes. That's a recreational class. But if the shop is selling that kind of equipment, they should certainly have an instructor or instructors (or DM) who could meet up with you for a dive or two and help you get gear sorted.

TSandM, they do UTD based recreational classes (Recreational Diver Level 1,2,3 and Essentials of Recreational Diving). I'm not sure if he's the instructor in these classes but i can find out that easily. The thing is, i started out with Padi certifications which are widely acceptable in dive centers around here. Thats why i want the PADI AOWD. Im sure that USD based classes are top notch when it comes to DIR diving but i dont have the money for both programms. Concerning the gear sorting, i'm sure that you are right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom