Apeks or Aqualung Regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it is btw theoretically possible to mix different brand 1st and 2nd stages if the intermediate pressure and sensitivity are adjusted and matched properly and both balanced the same way. This seems to be rarely done I believe but it's possible nevertheless.

It's actually possible, and since most IPs are in the same range, and in most cases is a simple matter of adjusting the second.

It is rarely done because a diver decides what brand he wants to use, and orders the same brand alternate second, possibly the same as the primary to match performance when on the alternate. Also having a different brand second may mean the in-connivence of going to another shop to service the different second.

Those of us who work on our own regs can do as we wish.

Bob

Why else would a shop employee state overbalancing causes you to use more gas by breathing more at depth other than to push you to a non-overbalanced piston?

I guess he just didn’t explain it very well. All divers (salespeople or not) have a preference and are more likely to promote their own preference than something they don’t use? This guy said he preferred the Core (which is a cheaper model than the Legend). He said it was their bestselling reg. I looked at the Core, but didn’t like it as much (particularly the purge valve). Side by side with the Legend, the Legend looks far better quality.

Anyway, I think I am pretty much sold on Apeks now...

I guess he just didn’t explain it very well. All divers (salespeople or not) have a preference and are more likely to promote their own preference than something they don’t use? This guy said he preferred the Core (which is a cheaper model than the Legend). He said it was their bestselling reg. I looked at the Core, but didn’t like it as much (particularly the purge valve). Side by side with the Legend, the Legend looks far better quality.

Anyway, I think I am pretty much sold on Apeks now...

Solid choice.
I was looking at the same regs as you were considering but settled on Apeks. I found a great deal on an xtx200 stage 3 set so went with that, but all the xtx range are similar, the main differences being the first stages (depending on your preference) and the ability to adjust the breathing resistance on the 50 upwards, I believe.

Perhaps best to buy before Brexit happens, or doesn't happen, or who knows what's going to happen!!! :banghead:

Solid choice.
I was looking at the same regs as you were considering...

Perhaps best to buy before Brexit happens, or doesn't happen, or who knows what's going to happen!!! :banghead:

Lol. Don’t get me started on Brexit!

I just ordered an Apeks xtx200. Should be in store by the weekend

Lol. Don’t get me started on Brexit!

I just ordered an Apeks xtx200. Should be in store by the weekend

Yup, I didn't really want to mention the B word, but it is a consideration as they're manufactured here.

I recently bought an xDeep ghost shipped from Spain for an amazing price compared to UK prices, but I wonder if I could get it for that price once (if) we're outside the EU and possibly Customs Union!?

Anyway, whatever happens I'm looking forward to trying the new gear in the Red Sea in April and I hope you enjoy yours! :)

I believe Apeks are still being manufactured in Blackburn at least for the time being.
My work horse is Apeks DS-4 with TX50 which I bought in 1998. I also have FSR and DST and they all breath the same.
ATX 2nd stage is smaller and lighter than TX or XTX models.

balanced 2nd stage will not help once your interstage pressure exceeds 175 psi over ambient

Yes, right, but how do you think you can reach 175psi at 100m (330feet), if the 1st is adjusted to specs?
The Apeks 1sts are overbalancing each 10m (33feet) 0,1bar (1,5psi),so even with an unbalanced 2nd adjusted to specs you probably wouldn't see any Free Flow.......
I also think that Overbalancing is BS, but anyway I wouldn't be concerned about Free Flow......

After reading many articles here and elsewhere, I decided on the XTX200 + XTX 40. There were one or two articles stating that the ACD had got stuck on the first stage and that closed the idea of the Legends for me...

I know that the problem was because of the torque settings but it makes me shudder a little all the same.

Aqua Lung recalls three regulators to check torque

Since I only dive singles the XTX 200 first stage will be perfect as the angles appear to be perfect. The hoses are braided so the lack a turret won't make much difference.

All the articles mentioned Apeks as being rock solid, so I am happy with my choice and unbelievably my set only cost me 519 Swiss Francs ( = 391£ = 457 € according to xe.com) , so I went ahead and got two sets, one for me and one for the wife. I couldn't find a set of Legend LX Supreme anywhere near that price.

Back
Top Bottom