apeks tx50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arnied

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know the difference between the ds4 and the dst first stages of the apeks tx 50 regulator.
Thanks
Wes

The DS4 stands for Dry Sealed 4 LP ports. The DST stands for Dry Seal Turret. The DST has a turret, or swival. The DS4 doesn't, it's fixed. Also, the DST has a funky 1/2" port for the primary reg to come out of (yuck). The DS4 has standard 3/8" LP ports which allows for the use of standard hoses (no special hoses, fittings, or adaptors to worry about). Neither the swival (which can leak air), nor the 1/2" port is necessary. I believe the DS4 is cheaper too. I prefer the DS4, but I have a DST as well as a TX100 -- both the TX100 (no turret, but has a 1/2" port) and the DST are on my "Gone" list :). They all breath very well.

Take care.

Mike

Lost Yooper,

What’s wrong with the ½” port? What is it there for?

Mike

I guess they claim the bigger port increases air flow, which it probably does, but it would take a machine to tell the difference. The only thing wrong with it is it requires the use of relatively unusual 1/2" hoses or a reducer (which offers yet another O-ring to fail) for a standard 3/8" hose. It can be a pain in butt if you're out in the boonies and need a hose.

IMO, the 1/2" port is mostly a sales gimmick.

Mike

The DST has 2 high pressure ports and the DS4 only one. I often dive with a computer and use a regular press. and depth gauge as backup(I don't really trust that computer).

But Yooper is right about the hose diffuculty and most divers only use one high pressure port. The first stage swivel design must be reliable cause Apeks continues to use it on their newer regs.

Yeah, I used my DST first stage for a lot of years and never had a problem. I've talk to a few have had a swival leak. A leaking swival isn't going to kill you. It becomes a matter of relevance. Apeks has to sell regs, and variety is a must for their (or anyone's) survival. IMO, if you don't need it, don't buy it or use it :).

Mike

When Apeks and Zeagle called it quits, Zeagle kept on producing the first stages. You can get DS4's from Zeagle that are the same as the Apeks (so I've been told, I've only used the post-divorce Zeagles though.) The Zeagle DS4 has 4LP ports and 2HP ports. (I personaly use the Flatheads and love 'em)
http://www.zeagle.com/reg2001_models.htm

The Apeks DS4 only has 1 HP port -- which is all that is really needed, unless you have some wireless computer thing going :rolleyes: :). The Flatheads are nice for doubles with argon, as far as hose routing, but I like my DS4's.

Mike

Hummm??? I'm totally confused here...

Excuse my lack of technical knowledge. (I'm a buy it, have it set up and use it kind of guy... don't do any tech work on my SCUBA gear)

I've been wanting to purchase an APEKS for awhile now, make that a LONG WHILE... I've been using an older TX100 and love it (not mine to keep) have also used the 50 and love it as well.

Looking at the new ATX 50 and was completely unaware that there was a choice of 1st stages.

Please educate me here on what parts of a first stage hook up to what. After reading this post I'm assuming that ONLY the pressure guage uses the HP port and that the 2'nd stages use the low/medium pressure ports.

Is that the case??? Then it would make sense... for some reason I always thought that the 2nd stages hooked up to the HP ports

Geeeeessshhhhh.... this is stuff I should definately know

IGNORANCE IS BLISS I TELL YA :confused:

Back
Top Bottom