apeks xtx40, aqualung legend, aqualung core for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gryffin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi-

My husband and I are new divers shopping for our 1st regulators. The dive shop recommends the xtx40 as a solid performer and emphasized the swivel 1st stage as a nice benefit of it over others in its price range.

We like lighter/smaller for the second stage in general, and I've been comparing with the aqualung legend supreme (more $$) and aqualung core supreme (less $$) which are both lighter weight (though the numbers I am comparing are for the total weights- I can't find a weight for the apeks 2nd stage). Any thoughts on these choices?

We will dive primarily in warm water, but don't want to rule out diving in NE on occasion.

Thanks-

They are all great regs, although there are cheaper regs that have similar performance they might not be carried (serviced) by your local shop. So, my preference would be the Apeks. Although, if they carry the Aqualung Mikrons have a look at those. Great performing regs, warm or cold (I use them in 30F water) and super small and light. Perfect for travel.

811ed8b0de63d08928047ed493c818a1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of your choices are excellent. If set up equally, it is unlikely that you would be able to notice a difference in breathing. The Mikron mentioned above would breath equally well--with a bit more bubble interference. It will pack a little more compactly, but I doubt that you would notice a weight difference underwater. Whichever one you decide upon, don't let the LDS talk you into one of the pancake style octos. Get a same brand (for ease of servicing) octo of conventional style.

FWIW I have dived with all of the regs mentioned above except the Core. The Core is just a gussied up Titan LX of which we have 5 and also 2 Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom