AQ Legend 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmvdc

New
Reaction score
I dive the great lakes primarily and am wondering if the AQ legend
1st stage is sealed. I understand there is the "supreme" model for cold water diving but not sure if there is a difference between the two that would affect cold water operation. thanks for any advise on this.

The first stage of the Legend is sealed. The difference with the Supreme version is:
- The Supreme is adjusted to meet the European cold water standard;
- The second stage of the Supreme has a heat exchanger which helps reduce the chances of a 2nd stage freeze up
- The Supreme has a lip shield (which really doesn't do much).
:snorkel:ScubaRon

The legend and the supreme are the same except for a half turn of the screw.

Hallmac

The tech literature shows the Legend 2nds as all having the heat exchanger - a rather grandiose name for a finned nut! - so I think Hallmac has it right - the only difference is a half a turn of the "technician's adjustment" inside the knob and a little picture of a snowflake!

oxyhacker once bubbled...
The tech literature shows the Legend 2nds as all having the heat exchanger - a rather grandiose name for a finned nut! - so I think Hallmac has it right - the only difference is a half a turn of the "technician's adjustment" inside the knob and a little picture of a snowflake!
The 2004 literature specifically mentions the differences I listed above. I checked their website, which still has old 2003 information and it does not list the heat exchanger as a difference (thus indicating it is also in the standard 2nd stage...). So perhaps this is a change in 2004. Either way since you already have the 2nd stage it should be easy enough to see if you have it. If not I would recommend having it added: it shouldn't be expensive and really helps prevent freezing, warm the air and in warm water also helps against cottonmouth.

The lip shield is a gimmick: I tried mine a few times then took it off: IMO it really doesn't do much.

The parts book makes no distinction. It's not uncommon for a company to downplay features on one model and upplay them on another, in order to make the difference between lower and higher end models seem greater than it is. But as you say, it should be easy to see given the actual regulator.

I don't understand how the heat exchanger could have any effect on cotton mouth. Cotton mouth is normally caused by dry air. Unlike the Sherwood heat exchangers, which are fins inside the mouthpiece, and (in theory) recycle moisture, the AL heat exchanger is on the outside, and only warms the valve mechanism. It shouldn't have any effect on the moisture levels, or cotton mouth, and I notice that AL never claims it does.

ScubaRon once bubbled...

The 2004 literature specifically mentions the differences I listed above. I checked their website, which still has old 2003 information and it does not list the heat exchanger as a difference (thus indicating it is also in the standard 2nd stage...). So perhaps this is a change in 2004. Either way since you already have the 2nd stage it should be easy enough to see if you have it. If not I would recommend having it added: it shouldn't be expensive and really helps prevent freezing, warm the air and in warm water also helps against cottonmouth.

The lip shield is a gimmick: I tried mine a few times then took it off: IMO it really doesn't do much.

The first time I hit a 50-degree thermocline with my Aqualung Legend LX Supreme, it was without the shield and I distinctly remember my lips feeling very cold...almost numb. My next dive was with the shield and it seemed to help quite a bit.

To each his own, I guess...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom