Are Atomic regs really that much better ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cracking effort?

You lost me however I am assuming that the LDS will be able to make the adjustments?

I am definitely not sipping air

I dive (and service) both Aqualung and Atomic, and @JohnnyC has it right. It's all about tuning. You can make ANY major manufacturers modern reg breathe as well as another if the cracking effort is set the same. Yes there are differences, but you can make most any good second "sip" air, especially if you set cracking effort slightly below specification.

Is it worth the premium? Well, first of all, the Z-series Atomic is comparable to Aqualung and Scubapro in price. If you're talking titanium bodies, that's another thing. But you don't need titanium to have your equipment last thirty years. I'm still diving my brass and chrome 1986 Mk 10/G250.

More important, there are features that Atomic carries that make them stand out.
To me, having a sealable piston, even in warm water, makes maintenance worries drop by an order of magnitude. Second, the seat saver feature on the second stage extends time between service intervals on that reg too.
Third, quality of manufacture is truly unsurpassed. Other mfrs might match them, but not exceed them, IMHO.
Finally, they're a very responsive company, unlike others we know.

Is it worth the premium to me? Absolutely!

But...they're a piston-only company. If you prefer diaphragms, Aqualung (or Poseidon) are great choices.

I like my z2 much better than the scubapro’s that I was trained on and the few after training but can’t remember the brands as the were loaners.

I think some deals can be had if you wait for Xmas or Black Friday I got my z2 setup which includes 1st stage 2nd stage and a z2 octo for around $350 during Xmas sale events. I was excited to say the least :yeahbaby::D

Edit: btw all atomic are made the same way just some use higher grade materials.

Nick that all atomics are made the same just different materials is very good info as I assumed that was the case but wasnt sure,

Cracking Effort Simplified

Your LDS tech will know, when you take your Aqualung in to be re-tuned. (If he/she doesn't, run away...quickly! Take your regs with you.)

When you carefully suck on a pressurized second stage, there is a point when the valve opens and air begins to flow. That is the moment the valve "cracks." The effort to open the valve can be quantified by putting a manometer of one sort or another between you and the reg. Typically, we use a "Magnehelic" calibrated in inches of water. Hence, the "cracking effort."

Aqualung Legend regs are typically spec'ed out to open around 0.8"- 1.4" water, or 1.1-1.7" for the Supreme.

If you ask for 0.8", you may get some pushback from your shop, but the reg will "sip." They are worried about your bringing the reg back to be retuned when the valve seat takes a little groove after 3 months of storage. Just realize that that may happen, and fix it temporarily by turning the adjustment knob in clockwise if it freeflows a little. Then bring it in to be retuned again. After the seat settles in, it probably won't reoccur, and you will be stable at 0.8". Of course, the reg may freeflow a little when you're floating way head down, but those of us who tune light accept that.

Search "Case Geometry Fault" on Scubaboard, if you want to learn more.

Zeagles manufactured by Atomic sounds like a reasonably good deal.

Assuming Atomic isn't trying to sabotage them.

Last edited:
Zeagles manufactured by Atomic sounds like a reasonably good deal.

Assuming Atomic isn't trying to sabotage them.

Why would Atomic sabotage them? They are both owned by the same company.

...I ask as I spent the last few days diving and I know there are better breathing regs ...
I'll probably get flamed for this but.........when you are on a 100 - 130 deep dive charter and all you see is steel tanks and not a single aluminum tank,,look at everyone's reg and computer they are diving. You'll probably see a similar pattern over a couple of charter trips.

You'll probably see a similar pattern over a couple of charter trips.

Yeah...they're all diving D400's!
Yellow_Happy_D400 copy.jpg

I have been using Apeks for the last 20yrs for both rec and tec dives. Very happy with it, easy to service(DIY) with few tools required. '
"Content" is the key word as I never bother to check/try other regs.

As a tech, I like that they all take the same service kit, or at least the ones I own do. I have 20 or so Ti2s and 8 M1s. There is a single B1 in the mix somewhere...

Back
Top Bottom