Are Atomic regs really that much better ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used an Atomic Z2 (my wife's "octo") for my Rescue class and it seems to breathe great. The one caveat I found though, and it happened with a B2 as well, is that when being "rescued" and the rescuer has their hand over the front of the 2nd sage bringing you to the surface, the valve gets extremely hard to open to take a breath. You have to breath in really hard to pop it open. Tried it on the surface as well and had the same issue. So anytime you (or someone else) has a hand over the purge, it's extremely hard to breathe and I could see this potentially causing a slight panic situation during a dive if you're not expecting it.

I really like my Hog D3 first stage, though. I love the swivel feature and have no complaints about how it breathes. But I also don't run a typical 2nd stage since I dive a FFM about 98% of the time.

I'm guessing your rescuer covered the two holes in the rubber face that admit water allowing the diaphragm to suck in, opening the valve. Akin to your rescuer covering your mouth, lol! Oops!

Not a flaw. It's a design feature that prevents the reg from freeflowing when scootering or in current. Don't let somebody cover the holes! But seriously - for you Rescue students...easy to see the law of unintended consequences at work!

Is there a certain way to go about soaking them? 1st stage first then 2nd and octo?

I haven’t used my Regs in two weeks cause of a nasty cut would there be any benefit to soaking them now? Or just wait till next dive later this week?
I hang my sealed first stages over the edge of the rinse bucket in the water while rinsing my fins and wetsuit. Then I rinse my console and second stages with first stage up so any water that goes up the hose gets drained back out. Then I hang everything by the first stage.

I haven’t used my Regs in two weeks cause of a nasty cut would there be any benefit to soaking them now?

Absolutely worth it. Soak first stage first. Just leave it in the sink with the seconds up on the counter. Make sure the intake is sealed off. If it's a sealed first, don't bother soaking. Not necessary.
Then switch. Put the first on the counter and let the seconds sit. Since it's been awhile, let 'em soak to soften whatever might be inside. Even overnight. Then before you hang them up to dry, run water thoroughly in the mouthpiece and exhaust ports. Whatever crusted up (if anything) should come right out. Maybe rinse with the sink drain stopper closed to see the results.

Oops. @Wookie beat me to it. :)

Here's an otherwise "clean" Atomic second stage. The zirconium part looks great!
20170711_165629.jpg
No sand or grit, but yuck!!

Absolutely worth it. Soak first stage first. Just leave it in the sink with the seconds up on the counter. Make sure the intake is sealed off. If it's a sealed first, don't bother. Not necessary.
Then switch. Put the first on the counter and let the seconds sit. Since it's been awhile, let 'em soak to soften whatever might be inside. Even overnight. Then before you hang them up to dry, run water thoroughly in the mouthpiece and exhaust ports. Whatever crusted up (if anything) should come right out. Maybe rinse with the sink drain stopper closed to see the results.

Oops. @Wookie beat me to it. :)

Here's an otherwise "clean" Atomic second stage. The zirconium part looks great!
View attachment 468262
No sand or grit, but yuck!!
Oh my! Looks like it’s been to a mud spa.

+1 on the car analogy - I think it's pretty accurate. For me, that additional 10% of luxury isn't worth the 250% additional cost. After I rented and borrowed some pretty expensive regs, I bought Hogs. I drive a Subaru.

I have several Atomics, Apeks and SP. I prefer to use the Atomic B2 as my primary reg. Mainly because of the swivel. I find that it much more comfortable for me. I feel the quality and breathing between the 3 is comparable.

+1 on the car analogy - I think it's pretty accurate. For me, that additional 10% of luxury isn't worth the 250% additional cost. After I rented and borrowed some pretty expensive regs, I bought Hogs. I drive a Subaru.
I wouldn't say Hog regs are super cheap. My D3 first stage was $250 by itself. Another $175 for the Zenith second stage if I decide to get it, which at some point I will so I can keep it in one of my kidney pockets with a QD fitting attached just in case I need to switch out of my FFM, which i actually did during my last dive for my rescue course. About the same cost as an Atomic Z2 setup.

And Subaru's aren't cheap either!

I wouldn't say Hog regs are super cheap. My D3 first stage was $250 by itself. Another $175 for the Zenith second stage if I decide to get it, which at some point I will so I can keep it in one of my kidney pockets with a QD fitting attached just in case I need to switch out of my FFM, which i actually did during my last dive for my rescue course. About the same cost as an Atomic Z2 setup.

And Subaru's aren't cheap either!

Yeah, I was just equating the Hogs with Subaru and where I roll in the whole pricepoint thing.

I didn't say I drove a FORD, for crying out loud! :eek: :eyebrow: :D:D:D

.... For instance, I've seen 2 failed main springs due to corrosion from water getting into the first stage through the second stage and the seat saver.

Why?? main spring of a non seal atomic is seeing ambient water, which does not see any chamber of the 1st stage. So even if water get in from 2nd stage, goes into low pressure chamber of 1st, then high pressure chamber, these water won't touch the main spring, right? I have see main spring corrosion for sealed atomic due to improper sealing, which trap water inside. For a non sealed atomic even with minimal maintenance, I haven't see any spring issues. But I am not a reg tech, I only serviced a handful of atomics.

I think the issue with soaping atomic 2nd stage with seat saver is kind of over blown. Sure you should be a little careful, but atomics are really not that fragile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom