Are nitrox classes really necessary in Indiana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Reminder, this is the New Divers subforum. That means no flames and no BS. If your post has been deleted consider yourself warned.

If you have been in a nitrox narcosis discussion/argument, take it elsewhere.

This is the NEW DIVER thread. Conduct yourselves accordingly.

My two cents,

You are relatively young, learning a new skill set that you will be implementing in an environment that is hostile to human life. Adding additional layers of complexity and increased expense in exchange for little to no benefit in the near term is not a great idea.
Once you are competent and comfortable underwater, and your dives become NDL limited rather than gas limited it would be a good time to seek Nitrox certification.

I agree with the above comments that while the nitrox cert is definitely good to get at some point, for the moment, the OP should probably hold off on the nitrox cert, and just focus on his OW course, and get some dive experience first (unless he's getting a particularly good deal on the nitrox cert. I'm not up on the current going rates, but $100 seems kinda high given that he's piggy-backing it onto an OW cert, but I can't say for sure).

Nitrox is just another tool in your dive belt.

You are planning to dive outside of Indiana aren't you?

I agree with the above comments that while the nitrox cert is definitely good to get at some point, for the moment, the OP should probably hold off on the nitrox cert, and just focus on his OW course, and get some dive experience first (unless he's getting a particularly good deal on the nitrox cert. I'm not up on the current going rates, but $100 seems kinda high given that he's piggy-backing it onto an OW cert, but I can't say for sure).
But it is less than he's likely to spend later.
What is the "normal" cost for the Nitrox class?

If you are planning a dive destination this year where you are going to do multiple dives per day and consecutive days of diving then take the nitrox class now. Take the instruction only; You don't need dives. If you are not planning such a trip until next year then take it in the winter. This is a great class to take in the winter when you can't dive locally.

Before nitrox, I just wanted to sleep all day after diving. Now, my wife doesn’t know how to handle my appetite after three tanks! *looks and smiles at the camera* THANKS NITROX!

I have used nitrox since it became widely used -- approved of, by the powers that be -- in the early 1990s, though still primarily dive on air. I have yet to experience any difference from air use, in terms of increased energy or subsequent lack of fatigue -- though have frequently heard that claim.

To the OP, I would take the nitrox class at your leisure -- which can be completed, in some cases, over the course of an afternoon. I had lost some C-cards some time ago; and NAUI, to their chagrin, had no record of my nitrox certification on their books, since it was, they claimed, before any widespread computer use or the interwebs. They opted to put me through an online test that very day, which a counting horse from a local county fair could pass, with flying colors.

They FEDEX'd me a bright, shiny card within days.

Nitrox certainly came in handy a couple of years back, while visiting a friend in Jupiter, FLA. All of those dives, off that Inlet, were at 20 to 30 meters of depth. Had I been simply using air, there would have been far less time for sight-seeing -- and too much concern of exceeding the NDL . . .

I have used nitrox since it became widely used in the early 1990s, though primarily dive on air. I have yet to experience any difference from air use, in terms of increased energy or consequent lack of fatigue -- though frequently hear that claim.. . .

Yep,same for me. I got nitrox certified when (IIRC) PADI finally dropped their objections to it, and got Cozumel's resident Course Director (anyone remember Eve Ackerman?) to give a free nitrox course/cert to any local instructors that wanted it. The course and cert were actually through IANTD, but that qualified us to teach nitrox as a PADI specialty, which was what they wanted. This was probably around '95 or so. Anyway, I'd heard all about it's supposedly positive effect on post-dive fatigue, which I was looking forward to, especially after long, multi-tank days, but I never once felt like I could tell any difference, at all.

Get NitrOx if you can afford it. Even if you don’t use it, it is great learning and will solidify your knowledge on physics and physiology of diving. I think a current rate for standalone course is $150-200. So they are cutting you a deal.

Get NitrOx if you can afford it. Even if you don’t use it, it is great learning and will solidify your knowledge on physics and physiology of diving. I think a current rate for standalone course is $150-200. So they are cutting you a deal.

Yeah, if that's the case, then I gotta agree now, the OP should definitely capitalize on that bundle deal, and knock out the nitrox cert. (that said, we don't know how bad he might be getting hosed on the cert price. They could be getting him, coming and going! :wink: )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom