Are nitrox classes really necessary in Indiana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Before nitrox, I just wanted to sleep all day after diving. Now, my wife doesn’t know how to handle my appetite after three tanks! *looks and smiles at the camera* THANKS NITROX!

LOL! But don't forget the tiny flash of light off one of your teeth when you smile.
That completes the ensemble ! :D

Well I’m taking the course and for 100$ more I can get a nitrox class, I am still considering it and wandering if it’s really necessary in Indiana? Or if it’s necessary at all
Gong back to the original question. No, it is not necessary. A vast majority of divers don't have it. Nor do they need it. It takes a fairly narrow window of opportunity (repetitive deepish dives) for it to make sense. You can always add it later, in my case it was about 25 years later. There is no reason you need it now.

Wouldn't hurt to do now if it's a good deal, but you don't need it yet. The best way to become a good diver at this point is to get open water certified then just dive a lot to build some experience before leveling up the cert.

If taught well the nitrox course does provide a better understanding of some dive physiology and physics which makes you a better, smarter diver even if you only rarely use the gas.

If you are planning a dive destination this year where you are going to do multiple dives per day and consecutive days of diving then take the nitrox class now. Take the instruction only; You don't need dives. If you are not planning such a trip until next year then take it in the winter. This is a great class to take in the winter when you can't dive locally.

I’m a bit confused. I’m looking at the PADI rqmnts for enriched air and it says that prior to certification you must have “either two enriched air training dives or predive simulations with a PADI Enriched Air Specialty Instructor”. What are predive simulations? Is it in a pool?

EFX:
....You don't need dives.

I’m a bit confused. I’m looking at the PADI rqmnts for enriched air and it says that prior to certification you must have “either two enriched air training dives or predive simulations with a PADI Enriched Air Specialty Instructor”. What are predive simulations? Is it in a pool?

Here is the description for the Enriched Air diving program from PADI's web site:

Enriched Air, also known as “nitrox”, is a form of breathing gas that allows divers to extend bottom time and reduce nitrogen loading. It is PADI’s most popular specialty course. PADI Enriched Air Diver Online can be completed in as little as an afternoon. After completing your online learning you’ll apply the knowledge you’ve learned by practicing procedures for obtaining and analyzing enriched air with your PADI Instructor. You also have the option of completing two open water enriched air dives. This certification counts towards the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating. *This course fee only covers your online training, assessments and certification card. Practical training fees, dives, dive equipment, student slate and logbook are available at additional fees via your PADI Dive Center.

The bolded text above (emphasis is mine) says that dives are an option, not a requirement. There isn't anything different you will learn between diving on air or nitrox. Equipment setup is the same, breathing is the same, the mechanics of the diving is the same. That is why it is an option.

When I took the class back in 2011 I did not select the dives. I have no idea what predive simulations are.

Here is the description for the Enriched Air diving program from PADI's web site:

Enriched Air, also known as “nitrox”, is a form of breathing gas that allows divers to extend bottom time and reduce nitrogen loading. It is PADI’s most popular specialty course. PADI Enriched Air Diver Online can be completed in as little as an afternoon. After completing your online learning you’ll apply the knowledge you’ve learned by practicing procedures for obtaining and analyzing enriched air with your PADI Instructor. You also have the option of completing two open water enriched air dives. This certification counts towards the PADI Master Scuba Diver rating. *This course fee only covers your online training, assessments and certification card. Practical training fees, dives, dive equipment, student slate and logbook are available at additional fees via your PADI Dive Center.

The bolded text above (emphasis is mine) says that dives are an option, not a requirement. There isn't anything different you will learn between diving on air or nitrox. Equipment setup is the same, breathing is the same, the mechanics of the diving is the same. That is why it is an option.

When I took the class back in 2011 I did not select the dives. I have no idea what predive simulations are.
I took it in 2006 when the 2 dives were still required. So as stated, the diving is nothing different than on Air except for the depth limits and maybe a little other info. Me and a class buddy did them on our own at a local shallow shore site and brought our dive profiles (using nitrox tables) back to the shop to give to the instructor.

Hard question to answer without knowing you. Do you have your OW book yet? Quick learner? Instructor willing to spend more time if needed, and what (if any) increase in price? It is often easy to shoot yourself in the foot by trying to save money.

DW

If divers aren't required to actually dive with nitrox in the course anymore, then IMO, that's great. I always thought it was an idiotic requirement that accomplished absolutely nothing, and just wasted money and time. In my nitrox course, everyone was already a working instructor, yet we had to spend the time and money to taxi to the beach with our gear, then dog-paddle around in 20 ft of water at Villa Blanca beach, just to say we dove with nitrox. The nitrox course is simply about gaining academic knowledge, not about gaining any skills or experience (other than operating the testing device), so the actual dive was always a stupid and pointless requirement.

If divers aren't required to actually dive with nitrox in the course anymore, then IMO, that's great. I always thought it was an idiotic requirement that accomplished absolutely nothing, and just wasted money and time. In my nitrox course, everyone was already a working instructor, yet we had to spend the time and money to taxi to the beach with our gear, then dog-paddle around in 20 ft of water at Villa Blanca beach, just to say we dove with nitrox. The nitrox course is simply about gaining academic knowledge, not about gaining any skills or experience (other than operating the testing device), so the actual dive was always a stupid and pointless requirement.
For the most part I agree. The only possible benefit of actually doing the dives may have been to do the profile for actual dives you do, using the nitrox tables. I know that's irrelevant now with DCs, but not everyone had one in 2006.

Back
Top Bottom