Are nitrox classes really necessary in Indiana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the most part I agree. The only possible benefit of actually doing the dives may have been to do the profile for actual dives you do, using the nitrox tables. I know that's irrelevant now with DCs, but not everyone had one in 2006.
Even then, the benefit is pretty negligible. The same exercise can be done from a diver’s logbook, or by the instructor picking some dive profiles and working through the tables. I took my Nitrox class in 2003 or 2004. No dives required. As I recall, we worked through a few sample profiles with NX32 and NX36, and calculated MOD with some other mixes. A couple dives would not have increased my understanding of either of those topics.

My class included 2 fills of Nitrox. They did one dive, and all that was for was to make sure you were adhering to the MOD. They tried to take you deeper and see if you cut them off or if you ignore the MOD and just follow. Which could be done on air and simulated nitrox.

Took about 6 months until that second bottle of nitrox was worth taking out.

Even then, the benefit is pretty negligible. The same exercise can be done from a diver’s logbook, or by the instructor picking some dive profiles and working through the tables. I took my Nitrox class in 2003 or 2004. No dives required. As I recall, we worked through a few sample profiles with NX32 and NX36, and calculated MOD with some other mixes. A couple dives would not have increased my understanding of either of those topics.
Just curious as you say the dives weren't required in '03 or '04 (PADI?).
Out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly when PADI dropped the 2 dive requirement? I figured it was still required when I took it in '06. Maybe not (Attn. Tursiops.....).
Trying to figure if my instructor just required them or someone violated standards 2-3 years before that.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly when PADI dropped the 2 dive requirement? I figured it was still required when I took it in '06. Maybe not (Attn. Tursiops.....).

The dives were optional in '08 when I did my class.

DW

Just curious as you say the dives weren't required in '03 or '04 (PADI?).
SSI in my case, and I was wrong on the year. It was actually early 2005. Dives were optional. I had considered possibly doing the dives, but then heard some of the other students. I wonder how some of them had passed OW.

I mainly want to do this in lakes but whenever I’m on vacation I wouldent mind scuba diving, I have always been fascinated by cystal clear waters and would love to dive in the bahamas. But nitrogen narcosis freaks me out quite a bit
Nitrox diving isn't going to be prone to narcosis unless you're very susceptible since you're limited to a Maximum Operating Depth of 95' or 111' for 36% and 32% respectively by O2 toxicity. Nitrox isn't about diving deeper, it's about diving with longer no decompression limits. If you think you might do some vacation diving where multiple dives in a day are likely nitrox will be helpful on repetitive dives too. And if your dive shop is offering EAN for an extra $100 you can't beat that. I'm glad I did the add on. I did my training in Jupiter with Scuba Works and they throw in a boat dive coupon for two awesome drift dives after you finish the course. On the boat I finally understood the distinct advantage in that air divers were briefed to limit it to 30 min. max per dive, while nitrox divers were able to stay under for an hour if they could make their air last. Get it now or regret it later...

I'm finishing my nitrox book now. I have new tank, will likely keep them ean regardless. All my dives are well within nitrox depth and I have no plans to go super deep. If I do I'll swap the fill. I do well enough only 72s to run out of bottom time and now I'm on 100s... I dive with 3 instructors and certs only cost the book and the card. Silly not to have the option.

My two cents worth on Nitrox would be that for doing a couple of dives in a lake at home per day (with a max of 4/5 in a weekend as most people would do) then Nitrox is probably not worth it.

Nitrox reduces the amount of nitrogen that will be absorbed at a given time and depth in relation to a normal air dive. There are two things nitrox will do but not at the same time:
1) for a gas limited dive (where you run low on air before NDL) - it will reduce your overall nitrogen load.
2) For an NDL limited dive - it will allow you to dive longer as the NDL can be longer.

It does bring a limitation with regards to safe dive depths though

For a vacation where you are doing multiple dives per day on multiple days such as a liveaboard (4-5 dives per day for 5 days) then it is probably worth it. For that reason, I would only get it when and if I was going on a vacation that I was likely to do this on. (save your money now and pay when you need it).

For the most part I agree. The only possible benefit of actually doing the dives may have been to do the profile for actual dives you do, using the nitrox tables. I know that's irrelevant now with DCs, but not everyone had one in 2006.
Hello. Yes, sadly, for the most part it is irrelevant, or possibly
"Normalization of Deviation."
One of my first instructors drilled it into my head....
"Don't forget how to use the tables." Which at that time were P.A.D.I. Air/Nitrox and U.S. Navy
I plead "Guilty." to relying on redundancy with (2) Perdix, and following the flashing lights. When, I realize that I've faulted. I break out my tables and "Practice."
Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom