Are SS trigger snaps DIR?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a4lod

Reaction score
I was wondering if there are any unforseen problems with using trigger snaps? Since most of my diving is done wearing bulky 5mm gloves, SS trigger snaps are much easier to use. Comments? Thanks

a4lod once bubbled...
I was wondering if there are any unforseen problems with using trigger snaps? Since most of my diving is done wearing bulky 5mm gloves, SS trigger snaps are much easier to use. Comments? Thanks

Trigger snaps? Do you mean suicide clips? The ones where you can bump against a line and it will catch it?

The only snaps that I know are acceptable are bolt snaps, SS preferred.

I searched on google, but only found lots of pictures of guns :wink:

Read before posting next time, jon.

So no, DD, trigger snaps aren't suicide clips. They're used on keychains and snowboard bindings.

You basically pull the lever and the round hole opens. However, there is no way a line could find its way into the hole without you pulling the thing open - there's significant overlap and the entire opening section is rounded out. You can kinda see it here and here.

DIR and/or safe to use for cold diving? They would be stainless steel too. Thanks.

Thanks for the picture and clarification, Jon.

These are almost as bad, though, as suicide clips in that they will release automatically with the slightest pressure. Imagine clipping off a deco or stage bottle, and then having it detach itself from the ring/line! Or clipping off a cave/wreck line and having it come undone because someone bumped it.

I'll pass on those also.

a4lod,

I used to think clipping off with gloves was impossible. It's just a matter of practice, practice, practice. I don't even think about it anymore (unless my drygloves get caught in the clip!).

detroit diver once bubbled...
Thanks for the picture and clarification, Jon.

These are almost as bad, though, as suicide clips in that they will release automatically with the slightest pressure.

They absolutely don't. They're used on telemark skis and snowboards as retention devices. No amount of pressure - until the snap breaks - will cause the hole to open. You have to exert about as much force on the lever to open the hole as you need to exert on the knob on a bolt snap.

And the lever needs to move quite a bit for the hole to open - on a bolt snap any movement will open it.

I have no idea whether they're acceptable while doing it right. I don't plan on using them on my rig, but if they're deemed less safe than bolt snaps I want it to be for a valid reason :wink:

jonnythan once bubbled...

They absolutely don't. They're used on telemark skis and snowboards as retention devices. No amount of pressure - until the snap breaks - will cause the hole to open. You have to exert about as much force on the lever to open the hole as you need to exert on the knob on a bolt snap.

And the lever needs to move quite a bit for the hole to open - on a bolt snap any movement will open it.

Okay, now I'm confused. It looked like these opened up by pulling the trigger back-away from the clip. If that is the case, then the line can pull itself out of the clip. If it were to push into the clip, it would be the same as a suicide clip with a trigger.

What am I missing here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom