Are we really the minority??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know far more divers that dive once a year on holiday than i do that dive every weekend so yes i'd say we probably are the minority.

Just being landlocked does not mean you cannot dive. Just have to get creative at times. Lakes, rivers, farm ponds, quarries, extra deep potholes, etc. You also have to be willing to dive cold, low vis, sometimes featureless( that is subjective as I always find something to look at), places.
Our solution: Nemo33 (gallery). Only 100 minutes away... :)

We have 100+ members in our diving club/group.

About a third will train regularly in the pool (twice a month to 2 times a week).

About a fifth will dive regularly in summer

About a tenth will dive all year through, almost every week.

So about 75% does not dive actively. In these 75% are people who once did dive very regularly (people with 500+ dives)... there are some who have been active instructors with many dives.. but after 20+ years of diving they lost the zeal. Others only joined the club to get certified and only dive on holiday.

In my opinion in order to realy enjoy it ... you need to do it regularly... only then will you get the maximum out of it.

We plan to start a series of regular sharing sessions this year where a local sushi restaurant will host groups of divers visiting the island for video presentations and informal group "discussions" about diving, marine life, etc.
Now THERE'S an interesting concept ... hosting a fish ID class in a sushi restaurant ... :D

theyfoundnemo.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As far as I can tell there are two kinds of divers:

Holiday Diver (they did it because they thought it was neat)
Serious Diver (they are completely consumed with diving)

Of course most SBers are of the Serious Diver variety...

You forgot the third type!!! People who WANT to dive more, but have to:

a) work 70 hours a week
b) Take care of a family (Try telling the wife you can't go to one of your kid's soccer games because you have to go diving!)
c) Figure out a way to get enough money to take time off work so they can dive more!

I really wish I could dive more, but last year I was only able to get away 3 times, and this year is looking worse:11:

However, when I get away, I make it count -- liveaboards all the way.

The part that I don't understand is how can "divers" live in landlocked areas?. I know that life is what happens while you plan and all that jazz, but why accept being away from water. ...

I can't answer for anyone else. But I suspect my situation is similar to other people's.

Life isn't just diving. It is much more than that. After all diving is recreation for most of us. While diving is important it isn't what pays the bills. Nor, is it the only thing I do for recreation.

This is where I lived before I was certified, well certified as a diver I mean. In the economics vs geography decision economics has to win. In the balanced life vs. diving only....you get the idea.

That might change; but for now....my favorite dive spot has to be the airport; which is where I plan to be on Sunday.

The part that I don't understand is how can "divers" live in landlocked areas?.

It isn't difficult if things like family and work take priority to liesure and relaxation. Do I particularly like living in Dallas? No, but this job provides me with the best chance to reach my career goals. I'd love to live near the beach, but would have a hard time talking my wife into living in a house half the size that we get to pay twice as much for -- I'm sure our kids (when we have them) would love to share a bedroom so i can dive more often.

It just isn't practical for everyone.

Ha, Bob... that was good (and tasted good too). Yes, I love the irony involved and think it will work into a rather enjoyable synergy between the sushi place and the divers. Besides, I get free sake when I'm presenting. Not sure if they serve Nemo rolls though.

It isn't difficult if things like family and work take priority to liesure and relaxation. Do I particularly like living in Dallas? No, but this job provides me with the best chance to reach my career goals. I'd love to live near the beach, but would have a hard time talking my wife into living in a house half the size that we get to pay twice as much for -- I'm sure our kids (when we have them) would love to share a bedroom so i can dive more often.

It just isn't practical for everyone.

It really is the eternal question that every potential dive bum must confront:

Live to work or work to live?

I chose the ladder, but it was the toughest decision I ever made to leave some landlocked state knowing it would be tough and never allow me a big house, stability, and happy suburban existence. In fact, it took me five years to finally pull the trigger.

Without a doubt it is the best decision I have ever made as I would rather live before I die.

Some Robert Frost poem comes to mind...and a few lines from Shawshank Redemption...and Isak Dinesen....and Papa Hemmingway...and Tom Robbins..and...well...you get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom