Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving?

Are you wearing snorkel while SCUBA diving

• Yes

Votes: 117 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 273 62.8%
  • Other

Votes: 45 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This subject has been discussed so much. There are the same pros and cons regarding safety and comfort. Maybe the best idea is the fold up snorkel, though I still wear mine--just because I do use it on surface swims (though I have been told before that this is TOTALLY unnecessary regardless of distance, conditions and whether I swim face down or up!). Mine is the 70th post in about a day--am always amazed that this subject gets so many responses. Who cares if you wear one or not.....

....................... Mine is the 70th post in about a day--am always amazed that this subject gets so many responses. Who cares if you wear one or not.....

I'm amazed at the hate and venom that some people have towards snorkels in these threads. It's a snorkel

I'm amazed at the hate and venom that some people have towards snorkels in these threads. It's a snorkel

I think part of it is the way the training agencies/instructors try to force them on people. I was in a PADI Wreck class a couple of years back where the instructor wouldn't even be satisfied with one in my pocket--it had to be hanging on my mask!

I do not wear a snorkel anymore. Since I swim on my back for most all surface swims, a snorkel is not necessary. However, I do keep one with my dive gear so I can put it on if I want.

I do not wear a snorkel anymore. Since I swim on my back for most all surface swims, a snorkel is not necessary. However, I do keep one with my dive gear so I can put it on if I want.

Yet, I also usually (not always, if I can see the bottom for fun) surface swim on my back and the odd time have found the snorkle helpful (not necessary) in chop.

Don't wear it on the mask but definitely have one in a pocket.

Honestly, I don't think this is tongue in cheek. I've seen this on boats all over the world. In fact, when we dove in the South Pacific, we actually had some other folks on the boat come to us and say, "You know, we've been watching you, and realizing this is probably a good idea. Can we join you in your checks?" We also had an instructor on a dive op give us a whole ration about doing checks ("It's going to be a night dive at this rate") although there was no urgency at all to get in the water.

reddog, don't follow bad examples. Discarding the snorkel, and discarding buddy checks are two extremely different things.

Lynne: You always see the glass as half full. I always see the glass as too large. :wink:

But you are correct, don't view the two actions as the same.

Snorkeling is a wonderful and fun pastime... Oh wait, we're talking about scuba diving...

I teach therefor I own a snorkel and am proficient in its use. For ow dive students I see value in doing the snorkel regulator exchange swims - it gives them the opportunity to practice reg clearing while swimming.

When I was a new diver I never really saw the need for it either, then I got into a tight spot a long way from the boat in open water and it was priceless to have. Never done a dive without one since.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have, when you need it and don't have it in a tight spot it's to late. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom