Ask A Cop!!! Post Your Questions Here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We are seeing selective enforcement for revenue reasons, imo

Politicians are pressuring the police?

Okay, another one. In states where you must lock an unloaded gun in a lockbox for transport, I have been advised this should NOT be a car safe (mounted in the floor) because that can be searched as part of the vehicle on suspicion whereas locked brief case would require a search warrant, a higher threshold.

I have car safes for GPS, registration papers, etc, in case my car is stolen they would not have identification information.

Here's my general rule: If you aren't doing anything wrong, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about if the police were to search your car. Seriously! Also, we can't just search your car on "suspicion". And with the recent Supreme Court ruling, it's even more difficult to search vehciles.
I would suggest getting a lock box in the trunk. Trunks usually aren't considered part of the interior of the vehicle, unless you have rear, pass-through seats.

lol

she deserved it

BUT why didn't he just man handle her?

I do think he was worried she was demented and could run into traffic.

(I don't support tasers) If they start to taze me, I plan to scream that I have a pacemaker.

I would do everything in my power NOT to use the electronic control device on an older person, but I cannot say with 100% that I would NEVER use one.

Also, electronic control devices are safe to use with pacemakers.

PS: TASER is a name brand (named after Thomas A. Swift's Electronic Rifle). Electronic control device is the proper name (ECD).

Wow! Talk about reviving an old thread! But I actually have a cop question again so I'll play along.

I travel for my job throughout the state (NC) mostly to low socioeconomic areas,and some very rural/ isolated areas. I spend 2-3 nights a week in hotels in these areas. I have a concealed carry permit for the state of NC, and feel it important to have my weapon on me when in the car, going to and from the hotel or restaurants.

Here's the catch- my job involves going to schools, mostly high schools, but also other levels where it is illegal to have a firearm on the property. While I would never think of taking my weapon in the school- by the letter of the law it is not legal to even have it in the vehicle if it is parked on school property. What should a law abiding citizen do with a weapon when entering a location where they are not legally allowed to have a weapon even in their car?

By the way I am in a different hotel every night, so just leaving it in the hotel until I get back is not an option.

This depends how paranoid you are that you're gonna get caught. Nobody should know that you have a gun in your car, so it shouldn't be a problem. Usually, you'd be OK with keeping it locked, unloaded, empty magazines, ammo in separate container and in your trunk.
Your other option is to ask the local PD to hang onto it for safekeeping for the day or so. Not sure how well that would work, but it's an option.

thanks!

what you say is true but if you are picking someone up at an airport or entering a military base you are subject to random searches

...anyplace else?

what recent ruling...the *Heller* one?

I thought there was probable cause and then a lower threshold called reasonable suspicion?

The new case is Arizona vs Gant.
It now limits our search incident to arrest where a vehicle is involved. Prior to this (horrible) ruling, officers could search a subject's vehicle after they were arrested from it. We now can only search it if we reasonably believe that there may be evidence in the vehicle directly related to the reason the person was arrest for in the first place.

that's bad

so...if you arrest a drunk can you search for drugs?

if you see shells on the floorboard when giving a ticket ...can you search for a weapon?

No, I can't search a drunk's vehicle for drugs, unless I think they are high instead of drunk, and there is an indication that there are still drugs in the vehicle.

Shells on the floorboard would probably lead to a removal of the occupants and a line of questioning regarding the rounds. I think it would be safe to do a "pat down" of the vehicle to check for a weapon. You can do a pat down of vehicles when you reasonably believe there is a weapon there.

Even if my search gets tossed out later on...I'm alive and I got a gun off the street!

I have an ongoing argument with a friend of mine who's sister is a cop. He says it is true that cops just can't help themselves with the donuts, including his sister. Everyone around me talks about cops hanging out at donut shops. I just don't believe this. Is it true that cops and donuts are joined at the hip? Ok sorry for the pun but this is a serious question.

Thank you for protecting the public. Yours is a difficult and dangerous job.

I have an ongoing argument with a friend of mine who's sister is a cop. He says it is true that cops just can't help themselves with the donuts, including his sister. Everyone around me talks about cops hanging out at donut shops. I just don't believe this. Is it true that cops and donuts are joined at the hip? Ok sorry for the pun but this is a serious question.

Thank you for protecting the public. Yours is a difficult and dangerous job.

I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a box of donuts at the PD. Maybe his sister is using her job as a reason to "pig" out on donuts? :D

Now good coffee on the other hand.... :coffee:

Hey TJcop, I have a serious question this time. In your state what are the laws about driving in a wrangler without the doors on and what is the fender/tire coverage laws. I just got some (new to me) 35x12.5's and they stick out pretty far, I'm trying to decide if I shoud get the 6", 6.5" or 7" fender flares.

Back
Top Bottom