Assessments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a pretty big question. A complete answer would take a book. Can you be a little more specific about what you want to know and why you want to know it? Perhaps then someone could give you more helpful information.

Like..
what exams etc..
I been told it's 4 quizzes and a final written exam?

There are written knowledge reviews and tests on the information in the book and lecture. If you get an answer wrong, the instructor should make sure you know the correct answer before moving on. It's hard to fail but your life can depend on understanding this information so they try to make sure you do.

In the pool and in open water you have to practice and perform various skills to your instructor's satisfaction. These are the minimum skills that you need to dive with reasonable safety and you will need to continue to extend them outside the course.

Like the poster above, if you can be more specific we can provide more info.

Like..
what exams etc..

Yes, 4 quizzes and a final. It's mostly multiple choice although there's a few fill in the blanks. You also complete knowledge reviews in the book as you read. The closest thing to working problems is working the tables to determine your dive limits and plan dives.

Like I said above, it's not really pass/fail, it's more to make sure you understand all the info and the instructor will go over again any material with which you have trouble. Make sure you ask questions if you are unsure about anything. This isn't like school where you can absorb some of the info and let the rest bounce off. You need this info to enjoy this sport without being a hazard to both yourself and others.

Like..
what exams etc..

If you are talking about PADI, then there are five knowledge reviews (which are very informal), four quizzes, and a final exam. That is for the classroom. In the pool you will have a lot of skills to perform.

Everything is standards based, meaning that the instructor keeps working with you until you pass, as opposed to a traditional instructional program in which you either pass or fail. With PADI, there is no failure unless you decide not to keep going until you have it nailed.

Not sure what agency certifies you, but with SSI, I had to submit a fill in "test" for each chapter of a OW manual, plus a 50 question multiple choice. Instructor told my group that if we don't get 100%, we get to carry his gear heh.

Also had evaluation in pool, confined water (quarry) and open water (ocean). Pool sessions checked my buoyancy skills, regulator retrieval, mask clearing, emergency procedures.
Confined water was same as pool, but more on emergency ascends, plus navigation w. compass
Open water was a bit of navigation and knife use.

Nothing that I was worried about. As long as you read the book/watch DVD, you'll be fine.

I'm doing it with PADI!
Oh okay. Just worried because I'm usually rubbish at exams. Not that I don't understand anything or remember anything, just pressure etc makes me do bad...hopefully it'll be okay!

Thanks for the replies

Oh okay. Just worried because I'm usually rubbish at exams. Not that I don't understand anything or remember anything, just pressure etc makes me do bad...hopefully it'll be okay!

As Franklin Roosevelt said, the only thing you have to fear is fear itself.

As a former teacher, I am well aware of the type of test anxiety you describe. There are many people for whom tests are not an accurate measure of their achievement because of this anxiety. I wish I could give you a sure fire way to overcome it, but maybe what follows will help.

One thing to do is to keep telling yourself that you know the stuff and take deep cleansing breaths when you feel anxious. Believe it or not, the way you breathe has a lot to do with it. The shallow breathing associated with fear causes that fear to spiral. Your fear has a physical source: carbon dioxide buildup. When carbon dixide builds up, you get a feeling of panic, and that panic can build as you continue poor breathing. If you feel anxiety, try something called diaphragmatic breathing. Inhale slowly and deeply, using your stomach to initiate the breathing. Then exhale slowly and very deeply. Get rid of all that bad air! Do that a couple of times and you should feel better.

With all PADI students, after the test is completed, the instructor goes over every question you missed to make sure you understand why you missed it. When I teach the academic portion of a PADI class, I constantly monitor student learning, and I don't start the final exam until I am sure everyone has things nailed. All my students get scores in the high 90's except for those with test anxieties such as you describe. Thye generally score in the 80's, whch is still comfortably passing. I have never had anyone score lower than that.

When I go over their answers, there is a lot of head slapping--"I knew that! Why did I put that answer down?" No problem. Going over those answers individually ensures that your test anxiety is not the determining factor in getting through the class.

Relax and let the process work for you.

I'm doing it with PADI!

Thanks for the replies

Ok...here is a great study tip for PADI...

At the start of each chapter in the manual there will be some key points that will be covered in the chapter. At the end of each section of a chapter there will be a few review questions for what you just read. Please note that these questions resemble the key points from earlier. At the end of each chapter, there is a knowledge review that you need to complete and review with the instructor. please note that the knowledge review resembles the review questions which resemble the key points. For the first four chapters there is a quiz. Please note that the quiz resembles the knowledge review which resembles the review questions which resembles the key points. After the fifth chapter and all of the quizzes, you take a final exam. Please note that the final exam resembles the quizzes which resembles the knowledge reviews, which resembles the review questions which resembles the key points.

If you understand these points and you know how to use the dive tables, I can guarantee that you will pass the final exam and the quizzes. There might be one or two questions (out of 50) that are not covered in the key points, review questions, knowledge reviews, or the quizzes.

And the most important tip:

Read the complete question. Completely read all of the answers. Select the best answer for how the question is written. Don't add anything esle to the question or answers. Many people that have issues with the final (mainly adults) will add "what if's" to the question. There are no trick questions. Yes, there are some poorly worded questions, be just completely read the question and answers.

Back
Top Bottom