At what temp is it considered cold water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LAKelpDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in Los Angeles, and so far I have never dived anywhere else, the water temp pretty much is from low 50's to low 60's at recreational depth's. At what temperature is it considered "cold water" diving? I'm sure many would think low 50's is cold, but then there are people diving below ice and much colder water than 50 degrees. So is 70 and up warm water diving, and anything below that cold water? At what temp does it normally affect the regulator or other gear freezing or their operation affected?

I think most regulators companies consider sub 50F as cold water environment

If I have to wear exposure protection for warmth, I consider it cold water diving.
Some days 70 is cold and some days 50 is. Below 40 is freaking ____ cold.

It's very personal. I wear a 3 mm with or without a hooded vest down to the high 70s. I wear a 5mm with or without the hood vest down to the high 60s. Below that I wear my 7mm with or with the hooded vest and better gloves and booties. I only dive wet so limit my dive to the high 40s. Below about 46-7, I just get too cold to enjoy my dives. I mainly dive warmer water, if I frequently dived in colder water, I would definitely dive dry!

Good diving, Craig

My personal definition is that temperature which, after 10 minutes in the bare skin, starts me to shivering and I wish I had on thermal protecton. For me it is 74*.

If your only categories are warm water and cold water, that is my dividing line....................when thermal protection is required to be comfortable for more than a 10 minute dive.

In the peak of summer our water here is low 60's surface if lucky ---- I dive a 7/5 wetsuit and sweat in the water on the surface ---- In a couple days I'll be under the ice in a drysuit in 33* water and toasty warm for awhile. Different regions have diffferent definitions of cold water.

Everyone here is a wuss!

I did my OW check dives in a 2 piece wetsuit, in 30 F water. (for you metric people, that IS -1C) My reg was only rated for 7C or 45F. It free flowed.

so, short answer, the manufacturers build most equipment to 7C, so below that is "cold water".

I got rid of that reg for one that actually could take the cold temperatures.

I think most regulators companies consider sub 50F as cold water environment
In my 7 mil farmer john, I would agree. But I don't think it's anything "official". I can do it, but 57F in a shortie for me is cold water diving. But it's fine if when I exit it's 85-90 air temp. & sunny. Everyone is different. People often ask "What exposure suit do I need to dive at this place or that?" Can't answer that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom