Atomic Cobalt 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i contacted Adon this morning, and then i took it to the dive shop and it is on its way back to Adon, i would agree with you, mine seem to be working fine, before it got wet, i spent last week in cozumel diving, and noticed it started acting up then.
Sincity

i contacted Adon this morning, and then i took it to the dive shop and it is on its way back to Adon, i would agree with you, mine seem to be working fine, before it got wet, i spent last week in cozumel diving, and noticed it started acting up then.
Sincity

Great, they will be able to check it out. I should also have said that the tank pressure reading 200 PSI when it should be zero is a known issue with some early manufacture Cobalt 2's. These would show an offset of that amount after a firmware update- there is nothing wrong with the Cobalt, it's the calibration of the high pressure sensor. The solution is to recalibrate the HP sensor, which is very simple to do so long as you have access to another accurate pressure gauge.

Ron

Thanks Ron for the update. I hope you are correct on this issue being resolved quickly. Its that time of year to start diving again :)

How can I tell the difference between the 2 versions? The pictures I have seen look the same. I want to make sure I am getting a version 2.

How can I tell the difference between the 2 versions? The pictures I have seen look the same. I want to make sure I am getting a version 2.
They do look the same from the outside. If you navigate from the Main Menu to Settings Menu, then select System Info, the Cobalt displays the firmware version right under the serial number. If it's a Cobalt 2 the first digit of the firmware version number will be a "2". If it is a Cobalt 1 the first digit will be a "1".

Ron

Removing my post

Last edited:
Can I ask where you are located, if you are at sea level? Your tag says ND, which wouldn't put you at sea level.

1011 would be a sea level pressure- we had another person who thought their Cobalt was reading inaccurately, and discovered that the barometric pressure reading they were getting from the local weather and online sources was "sea level corrected". They do this as a standard procedure, but if you are at altitude there are online calculators that will correct for true barometric pressure (Above Sea Level Barometer Reading Correction Calculator), which is of course what the Cobalt displays, as it is what is relevant for diving. The reading you have on the Cobalt suggest you were a little over 1500' elevation if 1011 were sea level corrected.

If this isn't the issue please let me know.

Ron

Last edited:
Hey Ron that is correct I am located in North Dakota and my current elevation here is just over 1500 feet. Can you call me I did send you a private message and we can maybe figure this out on a five minute call

---------- Post added July 5th, 2014 at 12:58 PM ----------

Unless I'm doing something wrong I use that calculator and it still is incorrect

---------- Post added July 5th, 2014 at 01:03 PM ----------

Ron I believe I have it figured out thank you so much you're a lifesaver and I want to say thanks for taking your Saturday to make my weekend. the cobalt is reading correct I just wish it would've made it more clear when I got my instructions the first time but no worries

my local elevation is 596 meters (1660ft) and 29.85 inHg

i did the calculation and I believe it came out to 951 which is only 1 off from what my cobalt reads

Last edited:
Hey Ron that is correct I am located in North Dakota and my current elevation here is just over 1500 feet. Can you call me I did send you a private message and we can maybe figure this out on a five minute call

---------- Post added July 5th, 2014 at 12:58 PM ----------

Unless I'm doing something wrong I use that calculator and it still is incorrect

---------- Post added July 5th, 2014 at 01:03 PM ----------

Ron I believe I have it figured out thank you so much you're a lifesaver and I want to say thanks for taking your Saturday to make my weekend. the cobalt is reading correct I just wish it would've made it more clear when I got my instructions the first time but no worries

my local elevation is 596 meters (1660ft) and 29.85 inHg

i did the calculation and I believe it came out to 951 which is only 1 off from what my cobalt reads

You did it right- 1011 "corrected" at 1660 feet would equate to an actual reading of 951.6, just about exactly what your Cobalt says. For perspective, 30 mbar is about equal to one foot of sea water.

We do need to make this more clear re. checking the Cobalt. It seems most local weather services "correct" atmospheric pressure readings to what they would be at sea level- which I guess makes a kind of sense for weather prediction, but is confusing for checking the accuracy of a gauge. We have a local university weather station here that does give the real values, and we are only slightly above sea level, I was not aware until recently that most online services give these "sea level corrected" numbers.

Glad you are able to dive- enjoy!

Ron

---------- Post added July 5th, 2014 at 03:27 PM ----------

To follow up on the previous post:

You can check the Cobalt's depth sensor accuracy by using the atmospheric pressure reading on the System Info screen.

However, if you are above sea level you will need to convert local weather barometric pressure data to remove the altitude correction that is usually added. You need to know your actual altitude to do this. The Cobalt displays actual pressure data- the surface ambient pressiure is what is needed for decompression calculations. Most weather services provide a "sea level corrected" number. Unless the value is specifically listed as "station pressure”, this correction must be removed to determine the physical atmospheric pressure. Online calculators such as Above Sea Level Barometer Reading Correction Calculator can do this conversion, and will also convert units to mbar if the data is in inches or mercury or other units.

As a rule of thumb, the correction is about -35 mbar per 1000 feet of elevation, or -50 mbar per 400 meters. This is about what is applied for the first few thousand feet. But the calculator will be more accurate.

We have had some mixups recently where users seemed to have an inaccurate Cobalt, in fact the local pressure data they were receiving was the issue.

Ron

Ron, I have a request, being 53 years old, I need reading glasses, for small lettering so when the safety stop timer starts, I cannot read it because the characters are to small, it would be nice when the timer starts the characters center them selves in the screen and become bigger. I've tried the glue in magnifiers and didn't like them because I don't need them for anything else, or another thought might be some kind of interchangeable cover with different magnifications. Anyway that's my wish list.
sincity

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom