Atomic Cobalt 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron, any plans to support the Diviac web software scuba board has been pushing via direct upload? Might be nice, since no mac client... Creates a platform neutral free option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron,

Is it possible when the count down timer on Deco, Deep and Safety stops appears to somehow "switch" or "toggle" to a larger dedicated timer screen? Similar to how the compass works with the left arrow.

Another 50 year old grazer with tired eyes. :wink:

Michael

Ron, any plans to support the Diviac web software scuba board has been pushing via direct upload? Might be nice, since no mac client... Creates a platform neutral free option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have always supported the open source libdivecomputer project- basically any third party developer who wants to support the Cobalt for direct download has our support- it’s up to them.

MacDive was actually the first dive log software to support the Cobalt directly- before Atomic’s was released, and Dive Log Manager supports Cobalt direct downloads on the Mac (with transfers to iOS), as does the platform independent Subsurface | An open source divelog.

Ron

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 07:53 AM ----------

Ron,

Is it possible when the count down timer on Deco, Deep and Safety stops appears to somehow "switch" or "toggle" to a larger dedicated timer screen? Similar to how the compass works with the left arrow.

Another 50 year old grazer with tired eyes. :wink:

Michael

I think that something like this is a great idea, and we are looking at this for future firmware updates.

Ron

A heads up to all Cobalt 2 owners- a firmware update, version 2.26, is available at Atomic:
Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Updates

Anyone running a version prior to 2.25 should install this update.

Ron

Updating the firmware on the Cobalt 2 is very simple:

Cobalt 2 Firmware Update Instructions:

First, download the firmware file, unzip it, and put it on your computer.
1) Connect the Cobalt to the PC with the USB cable and adapter (make sure it is plugged into the Cobalt using the USB side of the adapter).
2) Press and hold both the SELECT and BACK buttons for 11 seconds- the Cobalt should go dark.
3) You should se an icon or disk representation on your PC/ Mac that says BOOTLOADER. Exactly what you see will depend on your operating system. It will look just like a USB thumb drive or an SD card does on you system.
4) The firmware file should be called (for this current version) Cobalt2_226_User.S19. Don't try to open this. Drag or copy this firmware file onto/ into this BOOTLOADER device. This will start copying the firmware file into the Cobalt. If you are on Windows you can right click and select Send To.
5) You may or may not see a progress bar on you PC/ Mac desktop- it depends on the OS version you are using. But after a couple of minutes, you should see some sort of completed message, or the progress indicator or window will just go away. Don't disconnect while copying is in progress.
6) When it is done, eject the BOOTLOADER device just as you would a thumb drive or SD card- again, exactly what you do or see will depend on your OS. On most systems, the Cobalt will get a message to restart at that point and you will see it come up to the Set Time & Date screen. If that does not happen, just unplug USB from the Cobalt, and reset it manually by pressing and holding the SELECT and BACK buttons for 11 seconds.

If the Cobalt is connected to a USB source, pressing and holding the SELECT and BACK buttons for 11 seconds will put it into boot mode, where the screen will remain black. In order to restart the firmware, it needs to be disconnected from USB.

Hey Ron,

Is there any type of change log for this release? I will update my wife's cobalt 2 tomorrow since I haven't updated a 2 yet. The cobalt 1's were easy enough but it looks like the 2's are really easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hey Ron,

Is there any type of change log for this release? I will update my wife's cobalt 2 tomorrow since I haven't updated a 2 yet. The cobalt 1's were easy enough but it looks like the 2's are really easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

There are a couple of fixes for issues that came up after release. Under some circumstances, entering the water with the Cobalt in sleep mode could cause the gas pressure for the first dive segment in the log to be recorded as zero- your gas consumption looks really good if you appear to end the dive with more gas than you started with. So there is a timing change to prevent that from happening. And rarely (and only in version 2.13 or earlier), a flashing alert going off could cause a part of the display to stop updating for a time- so, for instance, a safety stop timer might not count down. For these reasons we strongly recommend that everyone install this update.

There are also improvements in efficiency, more under the hood diagnostics, and changes to how end of dive is determined in the log to make it more consistent with desktop software.

The Cobalt’s firmware will continue to evolve. We’re looking at some real feature enhancements for the next update, but this one is really a maintenance update for a newly released product.

Ron

Last edited:
Ron, this worked very quickly just as you described above. It deleted my time/date and personal info. Having to put that back it. I had not set any other dive preferences, so don't know if it would have reset that too.

Ron, this worked very quickly just as you described above. It deleted my time/date and personal info. Having to put that back it. I had not set any other dive preferences, so don't know if it would have reset that too.

Any time the Cobalt is reset it will revert to the time as of the end of the last dive. That's the most conservative option, and that's why it always comes up to the Set Time & Date screen. Not sure what you are referring to re. personal info- all of that is stored in non-volatile memory and should stay the same after reset. That is, it will go back to the settings as of the last dive. If the only dive on the Cobalt was the factory test dive it would revert to the factory settings. Is this what you saw?

Ron

I have not dived with it yet. So if I had, it would not have erased my name and phone number when it reset. The state of the last dive would have been with the user name Atomic.

Back
Top Bottom