Atomic Cobalt 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tested the beta version firmware on my Cobalt 2. The larger screen at safety stops was GREAT!!
Is there any way to silence a safety alarm? Like hitting a snooze on an alarm clock?

The way things are now, some alerts are programable to be either silent, audible, or off entirely- these would be things like low gas warnings or max depth that are set by the user. Others, like ascent alarms or beeps when you get to or finish a safety stop, deco stop, PO2 violations, or out of gas are always audible. We have planned/ considered having an "expert" mode that would allow all alarms to be silenced, but it is not something that has yet been instituted in the firmware.

Comments about this and other desired features are always welcome- the new stop timer display was inspired by user requests. We hope that new version will be up on the Atomic website soon.

Ron

The way things are now, some alerts are programable to be either silent, audible, or off entirely- these would be things like low gas warnings or max depth that are set by the user. Others, like ascent alarms or beeps when you get to or finish a safety stop, deco stop, PO2 violations, or out of gas are always audible. We have planned/ considered having an "expert" mode that would allow all alarms to be silenced, but it is not something that has yet been instituted in the firmware.

Comments about this and other desired features are always welcome- the new stop timer display was inspired by user requests. We hope that new version will be up on the Atomic website soon.

Ron

Having heard of this mythical "expert mode" since I bought one of the first v1 Cobalts, I think you guys may as well just say it's not something AA is willing to do. It's a fine computer, but if you're going to sell a McLaren with a governor permanently affixed to it, don't be coy about it.

Having heard of this mythical "expert mode" since I bought one of the first v1 Cobalts, I think you guys may as well just say it's not something AA is willing to do. It's a fine computer, but if you're going to sell a McLaren with a governor permanently affixed to it, don't be coy about it.

Don't blame Atomic, it's not their fault. We have a long list of improvements we would like to make in firmware, but other development, such as the Cobalt 2, or improving the compass, or the firmware updating process, etc. has taken priority. Some tasks are more complex as far as the code is concerned, or are things we want / need to do as part of a batch of features or a larger rework.

The change the OP was beta testing- zooming the timer display at stops to make it more legible- is something that was clearly a functional improvement for a large number of users, something that there were a lot of request for, and that turned out to be fairly easy in the context of our development. Because it is such a clear benefit, we are working to implement it in a firmware update for older Cobalt 1's as well. We hope this can be made available this month. Silencing all alarms is a feature that has been requested, just not as much. We do plan to make it available as part of a larger update when we get through some of the things we are currently working on. The "Expert Mode" tag is my idea for a batch of features that tend to be desired by more technically oriented or experienced divers and that would make sense to implement together. Keeping them in a mode might avoid complicating the interface for the typical recreational diver.

Ron

Don't blame Atomic, it's not their fault. We have a long list of improvements we would like to make in firmware, but other development, such as the Cobalt 2, or improving the compass, or the firmware updating process, etc. has taken priority. Some tasks are more complex as far as the code is concerned, or are things we want / need to do as part of a batch of features or a larger rework.

The change the OP was beta testing- zooming the timer display at stops to make it more legible- is something that was clearly a functional improvement for a large number of users, something that there were a lot of request for, and that turned out to be fairly easy in the context of our development. Because it is such a clear benefit, we are working to implement it in a firmware update for older Cobalt 1's as well. We hope this can be made available this month. Silencing all alarms is a feature that has been requested, just not as much. We do plan to make it available as part of a larger update when we get through some of the things we are currently working on. The "Expert Mode" tag is my idea for a batch of features that tend to be desired by more technically oriented or experienced divers and that would make sense to implement together. Keeping them in a mode might avoid complicating the interface for the typical recreational diver.

Ron

Ron, you're great, Atomic's great, and the Cobalt is one of the very best dive computers out there. If someone couldn't dive a Petrel because they simply had to have RGBM for non-trimix diving, I'd suggest a Cobalt over the various tech offerings that have RGBM and that the diver just live with its clunky form factor, poor attachment points, and excellent but limiting interface/stupid alarms.

But given the number of years that have elapsed versus the changes that have occurred along the way, I don't think it's reasonable to take the prospect of the Cobalt getting a "treat you like you're capable of deciding your own fate" mode seriously. If Atomic hasn't dedicated its ample resources to it by now, it's not just less of a priority than X/Y/Z, it's not a priority.

Maybe Dr. Lecter has had a different experience than me, but I have ENJOYED the Cobalt I and II. I have no issues with the form factor or attachment points or the case (remember how the lack of a case simply tormented some folks) or even the alarms as this is still a MUCH better computer than the others that I have tried. With the large and intuitive interface, well it just suits me. AND Ron is HERE unlike many of AA's competitors. If you have a feature request, you can request it. If you have a question about the computer, you can ask and it gets answered. And it makes sense to prioritize feature requests based on the factors that Ron described. And now that I think about it, I wonder about liability issues for AA if they created a mode where all alarms could be turned off.

LV Lynx doesn't use audible alarms, doubt they are the only one so not sure how would increase liability beyond what being a dive computer already incurs. I'm amazed we don't have to click a liability release each dive the way do with car GPS already :p.
Development cycles seem to run very slow in dive computer land. This has frustrated me many times as a consumer. I understand a few of the reasons for that but get Dr. Lectors point as well.
Honestly though I'm grateful they are still paying attention to the first cobalt at all, usually old models can kiss off any hope of updates :). Right now it's the perfect dive computer for my 60 year old mother, and it's serving her well with the big fonts. I'm looking forward to the enhanced safety stop window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe Dr. Lecter has had a different experience than me, but I have ENJOYED the Cobalt I and II. I have no issues with the form factor or attachment points or the case (remember how the lack of a case simply tormented some folks) or even the alarms as this is still a MUCH better computer than the others that I have tried. With the large and intuitive interface, well it just suits me. AND Ron is HERE unlike many of AA's competitors. If you have a feature request, you can request it. If you have a question about the computer, you can ask and it gets answered. And it makes sense to prioritize feature requests based on the factors that Ron described.

The Cobalt's great, as is Atomic/RonR (which I think I already said)...but the Cobalt's no Petrel. Honestly, though, Atomic and Shearwater are both equally awesome in my experience. Anytime anything goes wrong they're quick to respond and the response is bend-over-backwards to make things right. That said, I have no experience with Atomic service post-Huish buyout...I doubt it will help anything.

And now that I think about it, I wonder about liability issues for AA if they created a mode where all alarms could be turned off.

Please don't make me laugh that hard; it's late and I'm trying not to snort whisky out my nose.

With the minor problems the cobalt is having I wish AA would stand behind there product and do a two year warranty. I am scarred to buy a 1300 dollar computer and have the buttons rust out in 18 months. Don how "strict" is the one year warranty?

Back
Top Bottom