Atomic Cobalt vs Galileo Luna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cblauner

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Folks;

Looking for some advice...although the Cobalt has this amazing looking display with all of the bright colors...I am torn in my upgrade decision between the Cobalt and the Luna which has a simpler monochrome display, but seems have a reliability edge amoung other positives.

I am a nitrox diver looking for an air integrated computer, but I don't plan to get to the level of diving Trimix.

Any thoughts or guidance.

Thanks

Charles

Depends what algorithm you are comfortable using (DSAT, Pelagic +, etc.), there is also the Mares Net, the Oceanic VT3, VT4, and OC1, or the Suunto style like a D6 or D9.

ALOT of options bud lol.

:popcorn:

The Luna by a wide margin. Wrist/forarm mounted is the principal advantage, not to mention the Luna has the finest electronic compass in the industry. You would never grow out of the Luna. Can be used in tec diving while in gauge mode...

The Luna by a wide margin. Wrist/forarm mounted is the principal advantage, not to mention the Luna has the finest electronic compass in the industry. You would never grow out of the Luna. Can be used in tec diving while in gauge mode...

How does the Luna doe in bad visibility and on night dives...the visibility for the Cobalt seems to one of its advantages...Thanks

They are BOTH better and worse in different areas. The Luna may have a compass, but are you going to use it? If not then it doesn't matter if it has it or not. The VT4 has a compass and the VT3 does not (but is that worth the extra $400 in price? The VT4 is dual algorithm yes but again if you are not going to use the feature it doesnt matter).

The BEST option, IMO, is to write out the features you NEED in the new computer, then narrow a list down of computers that have them ALL. This way you will know for SURE that the one you get will meet ALL your needs.

I posted this in another thread ...

My wife/dive buddy and I have Uwatec Galileo Luna air integrated dive computers. They are very good dive computers. I like it because if we stay within about 5 feet of each other, we can see how much air our buddy has left so it forces you to stay close to your dive buddy. Since my air consumption is not nearly as good as her air consumption, she watches my air carefully and if I stray out of range, I get the stink eye. I'm thinking about getting solo certified. :D

It has a built in compass that I use regularly since I'm directionally challenged. You can set your bearing and then it has marks for 90, 180 and 270 degrees from your set point.

It is big on the wrist and it snags on the BCD strap making it very difficult to take off or put on your BCD. That's probably a complaint with most of the larger dive computers. I took the wrist straps off and mounted it on D rings on my BCD during my Rescue Diver class. My Rescue Diver instructor gave me grief about the air integrated pressure gauge so I ended up getting an analog SPG attached to the right HP port on my first stage and running it over my right shoulder with miflex hp hose.

I like that I can download the dive data from the Luna to my PC although it requires an infrared port or adapter on your PC. I can also configure the Luna on the PC. Uwatec has been promising software updates for years to make the Luna/Sol computers tri-mix compatible but it's still vaporware. Not that I'm a tri-mix diver.
03.gif

I posted this in another thread ...

It is big on the wrist and it snags on the BCD strap making it very difficult to take off or put on your BCD. That's probably a complaint with most of the larger dive computers.
03.gif

I finally solved the snagging problem by donning the BC first, then I put on all the wrist gadgets along with gloves.

Adam

Both are good systems from good companies who support their products well, and most people that have either like them- that's why they bought them. The best way for you to tell which you would prefer is to try working with them for a while- interact with them as you would in diving, set up diving parameters, look at the logs, etc. Take them into a dark room to check the lighting. Do this on each. What are they like for you to use? Your personal preferences may not match others. You won't go wrong with either one.

Some much prefer a wrist mount, others (like me) tend to be involved in activities while diving that would make a wrist mount a very bad idea- this just comes down to personal preferences and the kind of diving you do.

The Cobalt has a higher contrast and a higher resolution display, is inherently lit, and it is color, but the much larger difference is in the way the user interface is organized. It is designed to be easily useable without resorting to a manual or a class- in the cliche term, intuitive. This involves a lot of design details in the interface, and doesn't come across when looking at a feature list. This sort of interface design inspires devotion on the part of some users, while others don't particularly care- again, it comes down to a personal preference.

There is a basic difference in how the diving interface is organized- the Luna is somewhat modal. If you look at the compass, that takes over most of the screen for a time- there are different "views" depending on what you select to see in the dive. The Cobalt dive screen stays consistent, when the compass is turned on no information is hidden, and the compass can stay visible for the duration of the dive.

There are some obvious differences, the Luna can track multiple tanks, the Cobalt tracks pressure in only the one tank connected to the hose (though both will track multiple mixes for deco calculations). Luna connects to a PC through IR, the Cobalt through USB. At night or in dark water the Cobalt is going to be much easier to read. Cobalt is fairly new, in production less than a year, and there were some issues- mostly with the button sensitivity and some batteries- early on. I believe these have been fixed.

Both are good systems from good companies who support their products well, and most people that have either like them- that's why they bought them. The best way for you to tell which you would prefer is to try working with them for a while- interact with them as you would in diving, set up diving parameters, look at the logs, etc. Take them into a dark room to check the lighting. Do this on each. What are they like for you to use? Your personal preferences may not match others. You won't go wrong with either one.

Some much prefer a wrist mount, others (like me) tend to be involved in activities while diving that would make a wrist mount a very bad idea- this just comes down to personal preferences and the kind of diving you do.

The Cobalt has a higher contrast and a higher resolution display, is inherently lit, and it is color, but the much larger difference is in the way the user interface is organized. It is designed to be easily useable without resorting to a manual or a class- in the cliche term, intuitive. This involves a lot of design details in the interface, and doesn't come across when looking at a feature list. This sort of interface design inspires devotion on the part of some users, while others don't particularly care- again, it comes down to a personal preference.

There is a basic difference in how the diving interface is organized- the Luna is somewhat modal. If you look at the compass, that takes over most of the screen for a time- there are different "views" depending on what you select to see in the dive. The Cobalt dive screen stays consistent, when the compass is turned on no information is hidden, and the compass can stay visible for the duration of the dive.

There are some obvious differences, the Luna can track multiple tanks, the Cobalt tracks pressure in only the one tank connected to the hose (though both will track multiple mixes for deco calculations). Luna connects to a PC through IR, the Cobalt through USB. At night or in dark water the Cobalt is going to be much easier to read. Cobalt is fairly new, in production less than a year, and there were some issues- mostly with the button sensitivity and some batteries- early on. I believe these have been fixed.

Can I ask you what you do that makes the wrist mount a very bad idea?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom