Attaching a Name Patch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paula Trounce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a couple of name patches I want to stick to my Neoprene Drysuit.
I've already stuck one on my wetsuit with great results. I used the glue that came with my drysuit (pictured).
I masked off an area and applied a couple of coats to the suit and one to the patch, I left overnight then applied another coat to both left for 15 mins and put them together. It gripped instantly and is stuck fast.
So now I want to do the same to my drysuit (also Neoprene)
I've brought some AQUASURE but i'm not convinced it's the right thing for the job.
Obviously i don't want to screw it up!
What glue do you guys recommend?
Black Witch?
Aquasure?
Aquaseal?
Pritt Stick?
Cheers!
Paula.

Attachments

• 8A102663-80B1-458E-8FBE-99205D9743BE.jpeg
    8A102663-80B1-458E-8FBE-99205D9743BE.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 9BE23036-D92A-4EED-BC3E-CE1D9037813F_1_201_a.jpeg
    9BE23036-D92A-4EED-BC3E-CE1D9037813F_1_201_a.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 134
Why not just stick with the drysuit glue? I've never done patches, but I've glued dry glove rings and a p valve onto my neo drysuit. I tried aquaseal 1st and while it may have worked it was very hard to work with after it was stuck, where as the drysuit glue is pliable after applying some heat. I think Seaskin in the uk sells stuff (or any dive shop should really). That way if you ever want to remove the patch you can heat it up and clean the old stuff off with mek.

If you use aquaseal you'll forever have a spot there.

Just my 2 cents. I think I applied 5 coats of ds glue to the suit with 15 min intervals in between (the last one I only waited 5). I would not wait overnight, not really any need. The patch I would probably do at least 2, or maybe 3. So it would be layer glue on suit wait 15, layer glue on suit wait 15, layer suit on suit and patch wait 15, layer glue on suit and patch wait 15, etc and then the last layer you wait 5 min.

Hope that helps...its early here, I m still drinking my first cup of coffee:)

Oh...and I taped of the area REALLY well. And used a dremel tool (or sandpaper) to rough up both sides of whatever that i was gluing. Dremel is faster but can melt the neo (and I would assume the patch) so be careful. After sanding use mek to clean, clean, clean....then start the gluing.

For me, the prep always took longer than the gluing (minus the waiting in between coats), but all my project have turned out great (to me).

I'll link them here when I find them, both have been posted here on SB.

That does help! I should have said though. I used all the drysuit glue up on the wetsuit and i didn't know what it was. It's all Chinese.
So what drysuit glue should i buy? How do i know it's the right stuff?
Cheers!

Any shop should have small containers of drysuit glue, I believe it's also called pb-300. I would just call around locally and see who has it. It would save you on shipping if a LDS has it in stock.

I got mine in the states from DRiS.

Great, I got the Aqua seal from my LDS. I'll pop back in with my new found knowledge.

Here's the stuff we use. It's marketed by a few different places so the label changes, but it's all the same...

PB-300 Drysuit Glue Dry Suit Adhesive | #333918389

The might have different stuff in London though. Full disclosure...I've haven't tried any drysuit changes in London:)

Great, I got the Aqua seal from my LDS. I'll pop back in with my new found knowledge.

Aquaseal I do not believe is pliable once set. With drysuit glue you can heat (like i do with my wife's hairdryer) and peel apart. I would stick with drysuit glue. I'll link a guy I've had communications with in the UK that helped me a lot. He has a youtube channel and was very helpful.

I'll find him when I get to work....stay tuned.

Back
Top Bottom