attaching octo via snap bolt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a boltsnap tied to my octopus with cave line. When clipped onto my BP/W, it hangs close enough that if I lose my primary, for whatever reason, I can duck my head down, and grab my octo with my mouth. It's secure, eminently deployable, and streamlined.

That's fine for you, but the issue is not being able to get it unsnapped and deployed in a a timely manner for another diver who presents OOG. If the boltsnap jams or otherwise doesn't deploy, you're going to have, at best, that OOG diver about 3" from you all the way to the surface.

At the risk of continuing to derail this thread....

I just ordered a "longer" hose and I have a question for the long hose users.

If somebody is OOA and grabs for the reg in your mouth, how simple is it to pass it off with it sort of wrapped around you?

Or if they pull hard enough do you spin like a top? :rofl3:

If somebody is OOA and grabs for the reg in your mouth, how simple is it to pass it off with it sort of wrapped around you?

The long hose isn't "wrapped around you", it's just laying across the back of your neck. Ducking your head allows it to slip off easily (with the added benefit of removing that annoying snorkel, if you were silly enough to wear one).

Note: I also use the holders mentioned in the beginning of this thread and mine have the clips instead of the loop. I always have 2 on my d-ring to hook up both the primary and octo on the boat to keep away from feet. Another good usage for the loop type and, in fact, the silicon snorkel holders is to use them as fin holders or clips. I just loop them around the fin strap and I have holders to clip on my BCD snap. Also, they are good for finding the finstrap loop underwater when doffing the fins before boat entry. JMO

Or if they pull hard enough do you spin like a top? :rofl3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xmdi3keWVlk#t=315

If you can get past George's balls hanging out, this shows just how easy it is to deploy the reg.

That's fine for you, but the issue is not being able to get it unsnapped and deployed in a a timely manner for another diver who presents OOG. If the boltsnap jams or otherwise doesn't deploy, you're going to have, at best, that OOG diver about 3" from you all the way to the surface.

No, because he'll have my primary hose. If my boltsnap jams, I can still breathe from it comfortably while the OOG diver uses my primary. Worst case, I pull out my ems shears and cut the cave line holding the boltsnap to the octopus.
And, just to put things in perspective, in over thirty years of diving, I've never once had to donate air to an OOG diver, so from my perspective, it's largely a tempest in a teapot.

... I really like the primary donate system. It works fine with 36" or 40" hoses, not so well with the standard 24" primary hose. But you can bungee your short hose reg and put a 90 degree adapter on your octo, route it under your arm, and have a very nice, streamlined, functional setup.

This.

Back
Top Bottom