Attaching SPG to Bolt Snap???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDostal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, I've done some searching through some old threads and can't find a decent answer here...

I'm slowly migrating over to a different style of setting up my diving configuration. H-Valves, two first stages - on my right post is my Drysuit inflator and my primary regulator on a 7' hose. On my left post is my secondary regulator w/ a necklace, my bcd inflator, and my spg (a simple ScubaPro SPG w/out the boot).

So what is a good way of attaching the SPG to the bolt snap??? I tied the bolt snap to the spg hose w/ some cave line but the cave line always loosens up a little and slides up and down the hose. It's kind of annoying. I've thought of just zip-tieing the sucker on there, but I've heard some people say that's not the way to go.

So what the heck is a good method for doing this???? :confused:

Just kinda curious and I'd like to get this little thing taken care of...thanks!

Tie the line on the swivel where it connects to the SPG. The crimp will keep the line from sliding up and down. It does not have to be so tight it prevents the swivel from working just tight enough that it doesn't slide over the crimp. If you soak the line before tying off it will be the right diameter when used.

Hallmac

Cool - thanks for the tip about soaking the line, I'll give that a whirl tonight.

I like to use large o-rings on hoses as they don't move along the hose as easily. Done correctly, you don't tie anything, just use the o-ring itself.

MD

In addition to soaking and tying around the swivel, I use a knot configuration that I've found to be useful.

1. Tie an overhand knot around the swivel.

2. Tie a square knot on the side of the swivel that is opposite the overhand knot.

3. Tie off the bolt snap.

The o-ring trick works well, the rubber on rubber is a tad easier on the hose than using nylon line.
When using line on something like that, I use a clove hitch w/overhand knot, it won't slide around that way. Once the line starts sliding things can get a bit abrasive if there's even a small amount of sand or mud in there.

my method is 3 loops around the hose and through the bolt snap, pulled tight, then one wrap around, pulling the loops together between the hose and the snap. so the knot is tied and tightened between the bolt snap and the hose. A square not with a dab 'o super glue and it's all good.

Thank you, thank you everyone :) I'll be futzing around w/ it tonight for sure. I appreciate the tips!

I use a piece of innertube cut to a thickness that won't break away by accident but that I can break if I seriously want to.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom