Attorney dead at Square Lake - Minnesota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Scuba diver dies on Square Lake Tuesday night
A 51-year-old male scuba diver died Tuesday night on Square Lake in May Township.

Law enforcement has released that the diver was William Lorenzo Brown of Shoreview.

The Washington County Sheriff's Office responded to a call at 7:39 p.m., Aug. 14 of a scuba diver having difficulty in the water, according to the office's press release. The County Fire Dive team later found Brown under water.

They moved Brown to shore where Lakeview Ambulance attempted resuscitation. The attempts were unsuccessful and Brown was pronounced dead at the scene, the press release states.

Stillwater Fire Department also assisted the County's efforts. The incident is under investigation by the County Sheriff's Office and the Ramsey County Medical Examiner.

Every time I read stories like this, makes me more aware of the basics safety guidelines of diving, and insuring that I am in sound medical shape to dive. I am in my 50's so it resonates loud and clear.
Prayers for the family.

You don't know that this accident was due to the deceased diver's lack of physical fitness or failure to follow safety guidelines. Sometimes ѕhit just happens.

Can rule out a shark!

Reactions: EdC
You don't know that this accident was due to the deceased diver's lack of physical fitness or failure to follow safety guidelines. Sometimes ѕhit just happens.

I do not know, you are correct, I just stated it that it makes me think about safety, nothing else.
I am sad for his family and friends.

I don't have any insights into this specific incident but I've dove in Square Lake a few times. It is a very mild environment as these small lake/ quarry kind of places go. Pronounced thermocline, viz from 2 to 8 feet but no extreme depth or rugged topography. The local law enforcement is very hardcore on the use of dive flags.

... will be watching for more info

Every time I read stories like this, makes me more aware of the basics safety guidelines of diving, and insuring that I am in sound medical shape to dive.

What does that mean? My boss left the doctor's after a physical (which included an EKG) and had a heart attack in his driveway. He would have been able to answer a no on every medical question on a waiver, and get a doctor's OK easily right up until he stepped out of his truck.

I realized in my rescue class if I have an issue at any kind of depth there is little chance it will have a good outcome.

I realized in my rescue class if I have an issue at any kind of depth there is little chance it will have a good outcome.
Survivability of any cardiac event at depth is nil or close to it.

I did my cert dives in Square Lake.
Second week of May, a few weeks after ice out.
Vis was 20-30 feet.
Water temp in the mid 50's.
Not fun.
Another example of not knowing what we don't know as beginners.

Condolances to the family

I got my last cert dive in at Square Lake 2 days before this event. I was a bit shocked because the guys at Midwest push safety-safety-safety all the time. Still no more updates.

Terrible thing to have happened. Wish I could express my condolences to the family.

Back
Top Bottom