Average cost of OW Cert??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the responses!! I was going to wait and do it before our honeymoon but we'll have so much going on we think it's best to get it over with. BTW, many places here offer free lifetime refreshers. My wife and I have all of our own gear so we won't need the mask, snorkel fins etc..

Okay, got a few quotes from LDS.

Dive Shop 1 (NAUI) $410 for both of us

Dive Shop 2 (PADI) $380 for both of us

Are the cert agencies really that different?

robbcayman:
Just trying to get an average cost of OW cert per person? Thanks

Personal Equipment (Mask, gloves, fin, snorkel, booties) = $270
Class and Pool session (which includes 5 dives and rentals) = $140

All togther, about $400. Because of the poor visibility in Southern California, I did a boat dive for an addition $120. That included 3 dives, food and air.

So, grand total was $520. If is was not for the piss poor conditions at Laguna, I would not have needed the boat dive.

Locaiton... Southern California

NAUI requires a basic rescue of a diver from depth, PADI does not. There are some differences but both agencies can train you well at the open water level. Find out who will teach the classes, meet the instructors and see if you hit it off with one of the instructors better than the other one. I'm NAUI so I do have some bias, it's not that much more for the NAUI class. I would take the class that offered the most pool time, you cannot get too much practice.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm in the western Chicago, Illinois suburbs, and just paid a local dive shop $300 for the literature, classroom work, confined-water classes, and four open-water dives. On top of that was rental of gear for the open-water dives ($65 for the weekend), entrance fees for the quarry we dived in ($20 per day, two days), and any equipment I needed (in my case, I needed boots and new fins that fit them, as I already had a perfectly good snorkel and mask; I'd assume prices will vary quite a bit here depending on what you get). So, $405 for everything except the gear I needed.

I am in OKC. We normally charge $399 but have been running a special this summer. $100 off. It is a padi class and is taught over one weekend. There is some home study involved. This includes pool, classroom, and OW.

We are the only shop in town with onsite pools (both indoor and outdoor) and a private lake with 25' vis. Lots of pool time and time in the water at lake. We have been in buisness since 72 and have a perfect saftey record.

Be sure to calculate how much gas going to OW is involved, any hotels, exc. Some shops go to Terrell TX, and others the Blue Hole in NM. Both long trips.

(405) 755-7007 I am here Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.

$228.11 that's tax, books, class, pool, 4 OW dives and the "wheel" everything but mask, fins and a snorkel.

shooter226:
I am in OKC. We normally charge $399 but have been running a special this summer. $100 off. It is a padi class and is taught over one weekend. There is some home study involved. This includes pool, classroom, and OW.

We are the only shop in town with onsite pools (both indoor and outdoor) and a private lake with 25' vis. Lots of pool time and time in the water at lake. We have been in buisness since 72 and have a perfect saftey record.

Be sure to calculate how much gas going to OW is involved, any hotels, exc. Some shops go to Terrell TX, and others the Blue Hole in NM. Both long trips.

(405) 755-7007 I am here Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri.

Hey shooter, are you with adventuresports? The cost I mentioned above doesn't include snorkel, fins or mask since we already have these. I would call ya but it might be too late. How much would you charge for 2 people who already have mask, fins and snorkel? PM me back please.

I tell folks to budget $1K.
That covers class, books, pool sessions, springs, gulf, c-card, personal gear purchase, other gear rental, boats, entry fees, lodging, meals, beer, wine, tanks, tips, toothpaste, soap and the obligatory souvenier T-shirt.
Rick :)

My class at the local community college is $312. Plus mask, fins, snorkle, transportation to and from OW, one night in a motel and $6 park fee.

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom