Average set up costs for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm PADI OW cold water, with a knife, also my girlfriend and her 12yr old son. For safety reasons.
I think it's a great way for shops to make extra money selling gear.

When we where in Cozumel, Lucio (our instructor/guide) made us take it off.

First, you need to consider what type of diving you're likely to be doing (initially-- for lots of people it changes). Second, consider whether or not you're interested in buying used gear. If so, you can save a bundle.

I'll give my personal anecdote using US dollars. I will readily admit that I live in an area with a lot of affluent people who like to spend money on hobbies before they understand whether they actually like it so I have access to a lot of decent second-hand gear that others may have more effort finding depending upon where they live.

I got certified a little over a year ago for about $480 for the coursework. Anyone who tells you to spend $250 on mask fins and snorkel is doing you a major disservice. You can buy them significantly cheaper than that (new) by looking around a bit. I spent $25 total on my mask fins and snorkel some 6 or 7 years ago and they still work beautifully. Today, here in the USA, that price would probably be about $40.

I bought a full kit, with Regs, computer, gauges, and BC for $350. It's used Scubapro and Oceanic gear, but it's good gear that has existing companies available for parts/service etc. (I spent another $125 or so to get it serviced before use.) I already owned wetsuits for other hobbies, but you can count $200 for those (for cold water). So, for approximately $1100 I got certified and got a full set of gear (less tanks, weights, and "accessories") for warm or cold water diving. That's realistically about as cheaply as you can expect to do it, unless someone else gives you a lot of gear. (You could get a really good deal and get it cheaper, but the planets don't align that readily for most people.) It goes up from there to be about as expensive as you could want.

You should be able to get training and a full set of good gear (complete w/tanks) for right around $1000.

Hi Mike,

Hello,

I'm trying to get a rough idea of how much it's going to cost to get set up for diving.
If someone has the time, a list of what I'd need would be hugely appreciated.

Regulator, main
Regulator, secondary (called an Alternate Air Source)
Pressure gauge
Buoyancy aid (either jacket or wing)
Cylinder (ideally two)
Mask
Fins
Snorkel
Suit (wet or dry – for all year round UK diving go dry)
Hood
Cloves
Compass
Knife
Delayed Surface Marker Buoy (DSMB)
DSMB Reel
Tables or computer (computer my suggestion)
Torch
a thousand other items I've not mentioned

Me and my father didn't really get to do much stuff when I was younger, but I know he used to dive a lot. So anyway, I figured that now I got my new job sorted and a stable income again, I'd take the leap and invest in some gear and lessons so that me and my father can go diving together and also to give me a hobby on top of my current hobbies.

I know this may be a pretty generic question and that I could probably google a list, but when I do that it's only one persons view generally. It would be nice to hear peoples suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

As you indicate you may be diving in UK waters, my rule of thumb is up-to £2,000 for decent kit. If you buy second-hand you may save money, but diving is an expensive sport and the wallet will continue to bleed to replace and upgrade or to get the next shiny thing.

If you really want to splash out:

Rigid Inflatable Boat
A vehicle to tow it.
Compressor (to fill your cylinders)

Regards

It's probably fairly intuitive. Would hope so for the sake of those who dive at night!

Not just for night diving.

Mike,

Look at the advice from the UK divers who have posted on this thread in particular for pricing unless you are going to the US to purchase the gear.

Dry suit or good semi-dry is also mandatory, the warmest I have ever dived in Scotland was 14C (57F)

Good luck with your new hobby, I can vouch for the bonding part as I dive fairly regularly with my daughter and that has brought us closer together

Hello,

I'm trying to get a rough idea of how much it's going to cost to get set up for diving.
If someone has the time, a list of what I'd need would be hugely appreciated.

Me and my father didn't really get to do much stuff when I was younger, but I know he used to dive a lot. So anyway, I figured that now I got my new job sorted and a stable income again, I'd take the leap and invest in some gear and lessons so that me and my father can go diving together and also to give me a hobby on top of my current hobbies.

I know this may be a pretty generic question and that I could probably google a list, but when I do that it's only one persons view generally. It would be nice to hear peoples suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Hi Mike, Welcome to a great hobby. I won't say its cheap, but well worth it. You haven't said where you live in england. Here in Bournemouth and along the south coast there are loads of dive clubs, BSAC or PADI. Easiest is to just pick up Diver magasine from the newsagent and read through that for clubs near you which will make it cheaper and will then have plenty of buddies to dive with aswell. As others have said on this thread, don't buy until you have tried some out - most clubs lend gear to start with and when on holiday, you can always hire. The fins I have are from when I learnt 20 odd years ago, but my husband had been thru' about 10 sets before he was happy!. My only expense has been my dive computer - could not dive without - but saying that it is a very basic which you can buy for about £160. My other buy is my prescription lens mask - that cost about £90, but boy didn't realise what I was missing the first couple of years. Another great way to learn is take a holiday to the Red Sea to Sharm El Sheikh, and book with Camel Diving (cameldive.com) where you can do all the training and stay at their hotel - a very good outfit for an all inclusive package to learn. Easyjet fly out there most days. November and May is also good months to go. Hope this helps and happy diving..........Chris

If you're based in the UK have a look through these websites:

Diverswarehouse
Scuba Gear & Accessories / Deep Blue Dive
DiveLife | Scuba Diving Equipment | PADI Scuba Diving Courses | Apeks | Suunto | Scubapro | Fourth Element

Exposure suit; If you're going to dive in the UK then a Drysuit is a must. ]

What a whimp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to dive summer and winter here in the UK for many years with just a 7mm wet suit and I was fine. Admittedly in the south and would not be warm enough for Scotland in winter, but it doesn't have to be a dry suit. The only thing that stops me now is I'm not agile enough at my age to get into RIBS anymore. Regards Christine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom