Back issues of Historical Diving Societies' journals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parry2002_0104_165000AA.jpg

1955 !

"Water world " published by Bob Peterson who was the US guru of specialty magazines such as Hot Rod, etc and as a avid sportsman who wanted to enter the underwater world of Skin Diving as it was called in 1955. ( I have possibly the only complete remaining set of Water World )

.So many memories

The craft was a wet submersible produced in Italy and imported by Dick Klein, the president and founder of Healthways (and also Sportsways and SCUBA Pro)

He needed publicly for diving and Healthways so he imported the submarine and enlisted two very popular diving personalities of that era ; the late Dick Anderson (LA CO UW Instructor) in the front and Zale Parry (LA CO UW Instructor) in the aft seat to pilot the sub underwater from San Pedro to Catalina Island a distance of 26 miles,

Dick was one of the if not the best humorous author - story teller that the underwater world ever had or ever will have. Even in normal conversation he could always find humor. I certainly miss Dick and our conversations

Zale had just set the women's world depth record off Catalina Island at - as I recall 209 feet and was on her way to stardom in Kingdom of the Sea with John D Craig, l(LA CO UW Instructor) Later Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges and several other movies.

Zale, who is the third female underwater (SCUBA ) instructor in the world has remained active in the diving world and is currently the Ambassador at large for DEMA.

The spear guns are the Healthways copy of the French Arbalete the Healthways copy was possibly the very worst spear gun ever made - (yes I had one) The gun held by Zale is a Cressi made spring powered gun which was very popular and yes I had and still have several, but no longer use.

The regulators are Healthways double hose ..now popular collectors items.

Note the one inch wide tank harnesses. The standard of the industry at that time

The Submarines or a copy of it was purchased by my neighbor and diving buddy Bob Retherford (LA CO UW Instructor) and the founder the Aquatic Center In Newport Beach California. It was his intent to install it on the roof of his shop, but the landlord or city officials , or both , would not allow it . So Bob took it home placed in in his back yard and made a sand box for his young children--Certainly a sad ending
(Google my article on Bob at wwwportagequarry.com Sea Sabres signaling system or in my column "The way it was" in the December 1992 issue of now defunct magazine Discover Diving.)

Thanks again for unearthing and sharing this and so many other items lost in the dust of time

SAM

PS I think I will share with Zale -- I suspect that she will enjoy and also appreciate your efforts

Last edited:
Sam,
I thoroughly enjoy reading your anecdotes related to a marvelous period of innovation and adventure. Was there any piece of equipment that grabbed your attention, almost started you and made you think , "Wow- that is tremendous"?

Back
Top Bottom