Backplate and Wing Round Table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for regs, I have the AquaLung Legend LX. But it runs over $700. It's a cold water set. If you don't need a cold water reg, you can get something less expensive. Breathes really nice.

Wow, this is super helpful @stuartv! Thanks so much. I'm still inexperienced enough that I need weights, but I really like the integrated weight belts some jacket BCs offer. What are my options for mounting the weights to the back plate to avoid a weight belt? And from what I've read, it seems a steel plate would be good if I need a bit more negative buoyancy? How does the buoyancy of a BP+W system compare to that of your average jacket BC? I'm assuming the jackets are slightly to moderately positively buoyant, while the BP+W system is probably neutral to slightly negatively buoyant?

Most people put trim weight pockets on either side of the tank on one of the tank straps to hold weight. Either tank strap, just depending on which gives you better trim.

Yes, a steel plate is better if you need more negative buoyancy. Steel plates are usually 5 - 6 pounds. Aluminum ones run 1.5 - 2. The whole rig will be slightly more negative than just the back plate. So, roughly 2 or 6 # negative.

And yes, integrated BCDs tend to be neutral or a little positive.

And as for Lake Travis, I did my AOW there in April and swore I'd never get in it again as a diver. It was miserable!

Couldn't agree more, although it is better in the summer than in April. The best local diving is aquarena springs in San Marcos. You have to take a course with them to be certified to dive in the spring, and it's worth it.

As far as what kind of BP/W (or BC) to get, there are at least one million threads on this board. You can peruse them and get all sorts of opinions. If you are looking for an excellent overall set up, fairly priced, it's worth contacting Deep Sea Supply. This is one case where the guy selling the equipment really does have an expert's knowledge of diving and BCs, (he also builds the gear) and will not try to sell you anything he's not convinced is right for you. If you are willing to spend more money, you could look in one of the more tech oriented dive shops in austin for a halcyon set up. Very good quality at a premium price. Not any better than the DSS stuff, in my opinion.

Regulators are easy to buy, they all work. I buy old regs, cheaply, that are excellent quality, I work on them myself, and I'm convinced that they actually work better than 99% of the new stuff in dive shops. I have invested a lot of time learning about them, though. Bottom line, pick something out, don't spend too much, and you'll be okay.

As a newer OW diver thinking they are going to get into it more, and having seen a lot of recommendations on this and other site I am thinking about going with a BP/W for my first BC. I like that fact that being a big guy it will conform to me better, and being in MI it is useful with a dry suit (one of the certifications I will most likely get). Having looked around and also based on some others opinions I was thinking about getting a HOG total buoyancy control system HOG Total Buoyancy Control System Package - BCD - Products
Some of my questions are:
Would this be a good first bc, or what would you recommend?
How do I know which wing is best for me?
With the above mentioned system is there any benefit to go with the soft flex plate besides travel?

You should pick the wing based on how much lead you use.

No other benefit for soft plate. You will probably want a steel plate for the extra weight.

As a newer OW diver thinking they are going to get into it more, and having seen a lot of recommendations on this and other site I am thinking about going with a BP/W for my first BC. I like that fact that being a big guy it will conform to me better, and being in MI it is useful with a dry suit (one of the certifications I will most likely get). Having looked around and also based on some others opinions I was thinking about getting a HOG total buoyancy control system HOG Total Buoyancy Control System Package - BCD - Products
Some of my questions are:
Would this be a good first bc, or what would you recommend?
How do I know which wing is best for me?
With the above mentioned system is there any benefit to go with the soft flex plate besides travel?

Hello all!

New to the board, but hoping to become more active!

As a fully recreational diver, I'm at the point where I'm diving just frequently enough that I can probably justify getting my own BCD as opposed to renting (living in Central Texas, there aren't many easily-accessible dive sites nearby!). I'm not looking to break the bank, I don't need a BCD chock full of features, but just a good, reliable BCD that I can travel with and be comfortable knowing is my own. If we assume I dive 10 days a year, and I'm paying $10/day to rent a BCD, that's $100/year spent on rental equipment. While just having something as my own and knowing how it operates is worth something to me, the ability to eventually recover the cost of the BCD by foregoing rental fees over the course of 5+ years of ownership.

I know nothing about BP+W setups, but I've seen many people in the scuba community singing their praises. I'm primarily a tropical, single tank kinda guy, and I'm pretty big (6'2, 230ish on a good day). I had been looking at the Mares Prime MRS + jacket BCD, and for the current price ($250), it seems like a solid choice. That said, I've also read there's not really a point in getting an "entry-level" BCD, only to feel the need to upgrade as you become more skilled. I dove Sipadan in June, and will be in Palau in February, so I'm trying to get some of my equipment needs squared away before that!

So with that context in mind, here's are my open-ended newbie questions:

-Would you recommend a BP+W setup for me?
-Where do I begin learning about the different types of BP+W, and how do I determine which one is right for me?
-Are they good for traveling (i.e. pack down)?
-How are the maintenance costs relative to jacket BCDs (which I admittedly know little about as is)?
-Are there any good full set-ups that will serve my purpose (without overwhelming me), while also allowing me to grow into them as I further my diving capabilities (currently AOW)?

I hate that my questions are pretty generic, and I tried to add as much context about who I am and what I like to do, but the truth is, I was all but sold on getting a jacket BCD because it's really all I knew. But over the course of searching for BCDs for divers like me, enough people were talking about BP+W setups that I felt I would be remiss if I didn't at least inquire.

Please let me know if I can provide further context to help y'all answer some or all of my questions.

Cheers!
Cameron
I'd like to chat with you " off the public forum and expeditiously, send me an email to discuss further, I remember being in your position but my LDS was strictly bp&w only... Szotakro@gmail.com& and in case you have yet to learn the answers to some of your " more general questions"… They are very manageable for traveling, and super modular for adjusting to most sizes, 6'2" is not out of the realm of comfort

Are there (budget) back plates that let your - w/o the need for a STA - mount a sinless tank correctly with this wing from DRIS that I bought used?
DRIS Dive Gear 28lb Trianta Wing | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
I will also ask DRIS directly, but I have a little bit of time and don't mind do cobble a system together from parts from various manufacturers (used or new on sale... and if need be new...). Step 1, understanding what fits together and what will not - with this wing and single tank....

My opinion is that without the slots for the cam bands, will be very hard to do without the STA using your DRIS wing.
I do not mean that this is impossible, you can just cut the slots using an hot iron.
After this to stabilise the tank from rolling left-right, you can add this: OMS Soft Single Tank Adapter (STA) with Bookscrews - OMSDive or something similar.
Also if you don't like big metallic STA, those could be a lightweight solution: http://www.divingproducts.co.uk/oc/index.php?route=product/product&path=17_79&product_id=294
Happy diving

My opinion is that without the slots for the cam bands, will be very hard to do without the STA using your DRIS wing.
I do not mean that this is impossible, you can just cut the slots using an hot iron.
After this to stabilise the tank from rolling left-right, you can add this: OMS Soft Single Tank Adapter (STA) with Bookscrews - OMSDive or something similar.
Also if you don't like big metallic STA, those could be a lightweight solution: Lightweight Travel Single Tank Adapter (Pair)
Happy diving
My opinion is that in this case your opinion ought to be pretty much right on. :)
Thanks. It's so obvious that it is embarrassing I asked... Duh, a STA sits on top of the wing. Never really looked at a BP&W for singles...
Not sure I know yet if I would prefer a lighter weight two piece STA vs a single piece. I guess for travel and weight savings in the suitcase maybe the singles in conjunction with a light plate (Alu or Kydex...) Otherwise with SS plate I know I would like the single piece better (nothing twists sideways w/o a tank mounted, but even there I have to check first what the total weight requirements of my son are. So, anyways, you woke me up to think a little more first..

Back
Top Bottom