Backplate/STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Prepare

Reaction score
I already have a backplate and harness made up, and im about to order a wing off LP so no problems there.

but what exactly do I need to attach the wing to the BP, and then my single tank to the wing/bp? can it be brought off LP?

also, I know twin tank divers normally have their tanks bolted to the BP, making it hard to switch. Is this true for single tanks as well. i.e when im doing double boat dives could I easily change tanks?

thanks

Switching BP and wings from one set of doubles to another is not hard. Remove two wingnuts. The bands stay on the doubles.

On a single tank the wing is snadwiched between a single tank adaptor and the backplate. 2 cambands hold the STA to the tank.

Dave D

So this

STA would do?

$80 seems kinda expensive.

I dive my singles rig without an STA. The backplate has slots which take a pair of cam bands. The cam bands go through the wing and hold everything together.

This set-up holds the tank a little closer in. To swith to doubles I'd need to unthread the cam bands (not actually that tricky if you have done it a few times before.

Prepare once bubbled...
So this

STA would do?

$80 seems kinda expensive.

That would do it and yes it is a bit much for what it is. I made one for <$10 plus the cost of the cambands which were $6 at a dive gear flea market. I'll post plans in the future. It's not too tough. use a piece of AL, SS or fiberglass U-channel and some SS bolts, washers and wingnuts to bolt it to the BP. You don't even have to cut slots, just sandwich the cambands between the u-channel & the BP.

The other options are getting a backplate that has the slots cut into it like nickjb mentioned. Depending on which backplate you use your options vary. The Halcyon has the slots but then must be used with one of their newer Pioneer wings that have stabilization rods sewn in. Someone made a backplate that had a couple of humps bent into it to cradle the tank.

Dave D

What wing did you order for your single tank?

Wendy once bubbled...
What wing did you order for your single tank?

Not sure who you are asking but I've got the Halcyon 18 # (original) and the Halcyon 27 # (new). My son, currently stationd in Puerto Rico uses the 18 # with generic AL BP & STA and my daughter uses the 27 with the sloted Halcyon BP. Both are very nice with the 18 being hard to beat for being out ot the way and tiny. The 27 # is more versitile, has a circular cell and almost as tiny. Either are great.

Dave D

I have the 27# pioneer wing and I love it. I was just curious as to what wings you had gotten.

Enjoy your new gear.

Prepare once bubbled...

i.e when im doing double boat dives could I easily change tanks?

thanks

One thing not said so far is that single wings are *usually* not useful for doubles, and vice versa. This is true of the Halcyon wings anyway.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...

One thing not said so far is that single wings are *usually* not useful for doubles, and vice versa. This is true of the Halcyon wings anyway.

MD

DiveRite advertises their Trek & Rec wings as suitable for both applications. How well does it work in real life? Any experience/opinions out there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom