Backup regulator choice, carry full set/partial set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The easiest thing to do is to carry a complete back up set, so you can simply grab it and go if your regulator has a problem immediately before a dive, which is common. I've tried carrying an extra 1st and 2nd stage, lots of parts, basic tools, etc. It's all been helpful at one point or another. I've rebuilt regs in hotel rooms on dive trips, but that doesn't help you if your reg springs a leak when you pressurize it just before jumping off a boat....

Lately my trips have included some doubles and single tank diving on the same trip, so I usually have a complete doubles DIN set and a complete single tank yoke set. I could save a little weight by just bring the doubles set and a yoke 1st stage, but I'm not that concerned with luggage weight.

All my regulators I bought for diving, not to specifically use as back ups. I guess you're trying to save some money by buying a less expensive set to use just for back up? I wouldn't bother, but I would encourage you to buy a used set of regs you'd like to dive with, saving money that way.

As far as o-rings, hoses, etc...it's a good idea to have some tank valve o-rings, maybe a spool w/o-rings for your SPG, and a few port plugs and hose o-rings. I've never had a hose fail on a trip before, but I inspect them and don't use ones that look bad. They're pretty tough. Sudden leaks are usually o-ring issues.

The other option is: nothing.

The land based dive ops we use have a full rental department as well as a well stocked parts department. We once blew an LP hose and the shop replaced it before the next dive for $25. Turn around time less than 1 hour.

The liveaboards we use have a selection of rental gear that I have seen used when someone has a failure.

Since I can easily get replacements, I feel there is no need for me to carry spares. My bags are already too large and heavy.

Now if I was diving locally out of the back of my car, then I would bring a full spare set and tools.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for taking time replying to this thread. It's interesting to see many ways to handle backup set(s) on the trip.

I started to get more and more involved in drive trips to remote areas where dive ops only have handful sets of rental gear with "as is" condition, also it's common to see reg malfunction cases from loose yoke retainer till free flow after servicing. It's quite painful when it happens in remote area. All these driving me to get a backup set.

Weight will impact my choice as some airlines to remote areas only provide very little allowance. The reason why I look for some opinions on full set vs partial set.

Servicing regs on the spot probably not an option for me as I'm not trained to do that. But I'm ok with simple jobs like power inflator overhaul, replacing o-rings. Beyond that, I'm not confidence to do it myself as I'm not trained.

In fact now I have additional MK2 evo I recently acquired from my recently certified friend who regretted the purchase, now I'm not sure if I should carry it standalone as a backup (I'm not sure though if it will work with my S600 since MK2 is unbalanced) or I should just complete my mk2 set (additional 2nd stages + spg) and carry the whole set for backup. #stilldeciding

Cheers,
Kebo

The 2nd stage is normally adjusted to suit the 1st stage's IP. Hence there is a chance that the 2nd stage may not breath well or may free flow if the two 1st stages had variation in IP.

Given that the S600 is a balanced 2nd then it has greater tolerance for a variation in IP.

You could try the combination see it is okay, or you could check the IP of both the 1st stages, if they are within 10psi I cant see there would be an issue.

Generally, I think its best to roll with a complete spare or something that can be swapped out quickly. Having to tinker is less than ideal, imo.

Anything less than a full, ready to go set, may make you miss the dive. I carry a full set or i carry nothing and accept missing the dive.

On my last liveaboard I provided 3 divers with gear (all in the family). Immediately prior to one dive one of the MK25 1st developed a leak. The 1st was replaced in a mater of a few minutes, console, secondary and inflator hoses removed and connected to the replacement, the spare had a primary 2nd connected. As the diver had the computer in the console this at a minimum had to be swapped.

I do agree if you can take the set then do so, but to cut weight, given some small planes, I opted for less gear and a little less convenience.

On local boats I take a complete set.

After the dive the MK25 was serviced, and ready as a spare :)

In fact now I have additional MK2 evo I recently acquired from my recently certified friend who regretted the purchase, now I'm not sure if I should carry it standalone as a backup (I'm not sure though if it will work with my S600 since MK2 is unbalanced) or I should just complete my mk2 set (additional 2nd stages + spg) and carry the whole set for backup. #stilldeciding

Cheers,
Kebo

The MK2 will work fine with the S600, but I would find two used 2nd stages to complete the set. I would look for a 109 metal case, G200 (or G250 if you want to spend a bit more), R190 in that order. There are smaller newer versions of the R190 around, I think the numbers are R380, 290 maybe. Any of them would be fine. They shouldn't be very expensive.

The MK2 will work fine with the S600, but I would find two used 2nd stages to complete the set. I would look for a 109 metal case, G200 (or G250 if you want to spend a bit more), R190 in that order. There are smaller newer versions of the R190 around, I think the numbers are R380, 290 maybe. Any of them would be fine. They shouldn't be very expensive.

Good idea. Probably this is where I'm heading to. If I can't find good second, new piece won't make much difference for mid-low end second stages. I think it's S360? one level above R195 that available here....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom