Backup regulator choice, carry full set/partial set?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do agree if you can take the set then do so, but to cut weight, given some small planes, I opted for less gear and a little less convenience.

I concur too.

Thanks everyone for the inputs... I see that backup set is pretty important for me who has seen how rental reg quality looks like in remote area. *i know some might not agree

As far as I remember mid-low end reg set cost less than half of cheapest 7 days LOB trip I can find (even lesser if you count the airfare in). And found out that reg malfunction (either after servicing or long idle) isn't that uncommon. Can't afford to miss a dive in such a trip.

Sorry I'm late to the party.

I carry a first stage kit, a second stage hit, and a scubatool. A little chrystalube if I think about it, but most dive shops where I'm going have enough basic tools that I can use as long as I have the kit to put in them. If I need more than a kit, someone somewhere is telling me to enjoy the cervesa on the beach.

Good idea. Probably this is where I'm heading to. If I can't find good second, new piece won't make much difference for mid-low end second stages. I think it's S360? one level above R195 that available here....

I would see the S360 as a level (or two) below the S600/S560. The R195 I believe is a classic downstream. The S360 is a balanced 2nd but does not have the user adjustment of the S560/S600. I have a purchased a couple of S360 regs new for about $US100 each - lucky buy. I have upgraded to 'user adjustable'.

Sorry I'm late to the party.

I carry a first stage kit, a second stage hit, and a scubatool. A little chrystalube if I think about it, but most dive shops where I'm going have enough basic tools that I can use as long as I have the kit to put in them. If I need more than a kit, someone somewhere is telling me to enjoy the cervesa on the beach.

Hahhaa. literally laughed at this. but.. out of curiosity, what scubatool(s) do you carry on a trip? aren't they heavy.. probably for a full set they are heavier than another set (?)

I would see the S360 as a level (or two) below the S600/S560. The R195 I believe is a classic downstream. The S360 is a balanced 2nd but does not have the user adjustment of the S560/S600. I have a purchased a couple of S360 regs new for about $US100 each - lucky buy. I have upgraded to 'user adjustable'.

What do you mean exactly with "user adjustable"? Adding the adjustment knob to S360? $100 is a great deal.

If you are looking for a pair of 2nd stages to add to your MK2 to form a complete back up set, just get 2 R190s or whatever the current unbalanced downstream scubapro 2nd stage is. Personally I only buy used regulators because I'm cheap and I know how to fix them. SP used to make an unbalanced barrel poppet 2nd stage with a metal case, the part number was 109. These are the "109" regs I was referring to. If you are comfortable buying used these are often the best buy, and their performance is outstanding. SP later made a plastic version of this, the G200. There was a balanced version called the G200B, which is a very nice 2nd stage. The only differences between the two are a couple of parts that are easily switched at a servicing. The G250, an all-time classic, was the same regulator but with an external adjustment for breathing effort. Many divers like to have that but it's not necessary.

There was also a metal case with a classic downstream valve, not a barrel poppet, called the 108 (again, that was the part number). The plastic offspring of those was the R190. Millions of MK2/R190 sets have been used as rental and training gear for decades. This is why you should have no trouble finding good used R190s, for a lot less than $100 each. I think SP no longer produces the R190, they've switched to smaller 2nd stages that are basically the same thing, they just cost a little more.

The advantage of staying with the unbalanced, downstream 2nds is that the rebuild kits are much less expensive; they only consist of a small generic seat, a couple of standard o-rings, and a nyloc nut. Since this whole idea is about a back up reg, don't worry about the difference in performance between the unbalanced and balanced 2nd stages. It's not worth spending the extra money in this situation.

what scubatool(s) do you carry on a trip?

He may be meaning a multi tool - Compact Scuba Multi-Tool | Dive Gear Express®
If on a live-aboard I limit tools, but have tools that let me service the regs. I take a few tools, a couple of small shifters, o-ring picks, long nose pliers, stubby screwdriver with multi-bits, and the speciality tools for the regs. I expect I can get the heavier tool (big shifter) on the boat.
On local dives I only have basic tools as I do not take service kits, but I take a full reg set.

What do you mean exactly with "user adjustable"? Adding the adjustment knob to S360? $100 is a great deal.

The use adjustable 'feature' allows the user to adjust the breathing effort. All my regs are user adjustable but it is rarely used! I like my reg to breather easily, so if I then dive in a strong current I may want/need to make it a bit 'harder'. I wasn't proposing you should go for user adjustable just pointing the difference between the s360 (balanced range) and the R195 (down stream range).

@halocline has elaborated a bit more on this in the post above.

The advantage of staying with the unbalanced, downstream 2nds is that the rebuild kits are much less expensive; they only consist of a small generic seat, a couple of standard o-rings, and a nyloc nut. Since this whole idea is about a back up reg, don't worry about the difference in performance between the unbalanced and balanced 2nd stages. It's not worth spending the extra money in this situation.

I agree with this, if the reg is only intended as a back-up.

Most of my gear also comes second-hand. For me I expect that the reg set may be used as a primary set, when diving with the extended family and I service my gear, so I have decided to only have consistent models, all the 1st stages are MK25s and the 2nds are S600 variants and share common parts.

An advantage of a balanced second as a back-up is it can be moved to another 1st stage and will accommodate a variation in IP better than a downstream. Typically when servicing the 1st stage IP is set, between 125 and 145 PSI (Mk25), then the 2nd is adjusted. If the downstream 2nd is moved from a 1st with a low IP (125) to a high IP (145) and was adjusted to breath easily it may free-flow. a balanced 2nd will accommodate this change and if user adjustable can then be fine tuned.

If the reg set is only to be used as a back-up then you will need to test it regularly. Ever had a flat tyre only to find the spare is also flat, or not even there!

We carry a complete working octopus set up the same way our regs are set up, computer and all. I always have at least 1 more backup computer I dive with. Anything acts twitchy I usually unscrew that part and replace it but could just swap the whole thing. I probably have less invested in all 3 reg sets and 4 computers than most people have in one.

Back
Top Bottom