Bad photographers at SCUBA Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baseline, The thing to keep in mind is common courtesy. Of course, it is not expected that it is the responsibility for divers to make sure others in the group "See it ALL" and to make sure everyone has their fair chance. However, just remember, that since you are on a group dive, there are other divers who would like to enjoy themselves as well. Getting pushed or crowded out or having a critter scared away by an overzealous PhotoHog or Lookie Loo is very disappointing and frustrating. Again, take your time and don't rush. Hang back a bit if you want to stay out of the crowd, however, it is a good idea to let your DM know of your intention ahead of time and then do keep him/her in your loop throughout the dive. Plan the dive, dive the Plan This system works well for my DH-(the photographer) and I (Love my magnifying glass). We usually hang back a short distance and bring up the tail end of the group. We find and photograph critters and coral and I keep our DM in view while my DH is setting his shots. When I see the DM and group moving on, or our DM's signal to gather together, we move on as well.

I will respond to Mossman. Most people grow up. Our actions of youth don't always reflect our adult actions. If you think the turtle farm is good that's your opinion,read the most recent report on the overcrowding etc. if you want justification for harassing something you won't get it. Ask a DOE, DNR or federal game officer if it's legal. Someone like yourself obviously knows all the answers.
He doesn't have all the answers, just most of them. He once flew all the way to Cozumel on the wing of a jet, just to see what it was like. He doesn't always drink beer before he goes diving, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis. He is the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friend.

DSCF1589.jpg

Then there's that gray area. This was the young mans first encounter with a sea turtle.

At least he wasn't wearing split fins.:D
Clearly he is trying to avoid injury to a turtle that was getting to close.

withdrawn.

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

off topic posts have been deleted. Please stay on topic or risk more aggressive moderation up to loss of posting privileges in this forum. Marg, SB senior moderator

A-hole divers come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Having a camera isn't the defining item... attitude is. As a long-time photographer, if I am "forced" to dive near a group, and something special is found, I simply hang out and wait until the others have lost interest and move on. It's impossible to get a decent shot of anything when that thing is surrounded by divers anyway. Silt and random limbs creeping into the frame will ruin a photo faster than anything.

So if you will allow me, I'd like to suggest that you change the title of this thread from "Bad photographers at SCUBA Club" to "Bad Divers with Cameras at SCUBA Club"...

(Incidentally, a GoPro does not a photographer make. It simply makes a diver with a little itty-bitty camera. It it's on a pole so that they can video themselves, it makes them a Narcissist!)

Back
Top Bottom