Bad photographers at SCUBA Club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just my basic belief not to purposely touch any critters or reef. Most of my dives have been in tropical/resort areas, like Coz, where the practice is frowned upon. Guess it's just the way I was "Raised" :)

Just my basic belief not to purposely touch any critters or reef. Most of my dives have been in tropical/resort areas, like Coz, where the practice is frowned upon. Guess it's just the way I was "Raised" :)
So it's just a "basic belief" and not actual reasoning?

In Hawaii, it's illegal to touch sea turtles. The reasoning for that is because tourists were harrassing them on shore. I was rather surprised when a highly-reputable DM at one of Hawaii's most respected dive shops (I'm being deliberately vague to protect the "innocent") lightly stroked an injured sea turtle we found inside a wreck, then had my buddy and I do the same. The turtle didn't budge. It probably didn't even feel our touch. My basic belief is that our actions were not wrong, no matter how much they may have violated Hawaiian law and whatever "no touch" code you might believe in.

My code is more like "no harm". My first time in Palau, I was in a group that included a dive shop owner from Louisiana whose voice sounded just like the sheriff in Smokey and the Bandit. We spotted a turtle drifting alongside us on a wall dive. Louisiana diver swam next to it and gave it a hug. I was a bit taken aback, but it didn't seem like it hurt anything. Then he grabbed on and continued to hold the turtle. At that point, the DM swam over and slapped his hand, wagging a finger at him. He seemed embarrassed. No one mentioned it back on the boat. I think the point was taken.

Moss, I'll re-phrase it. It is my belief and practice that I remain passive and not purposely touch underwater life. Not sure the difference between belief and reasoning in this context, just call me Forrest...I can be a tad s-l-o-w

**EDIT and just to state, cause I haven't, I have no problem with spearfishing and lobstering/scallops/clams etc in legal areas... What I stated above is for non-hunting recreational diving and photography.

And to clarify - my "no touch" is what I abide by - my protest was specifically regarding manhandling, grabbing, and intimidating the animals that clearly do not want contact. Cornering and touching something that Is attempting to flee.

PADI:
Consider your Interactions – Don't touch, handle, feed or ride on aquatic life. These actions may stress the animal, interrupt natural behaviors or provoke aggressive behaviors in a normally nonaggressive species.

NAUI uses the phrase:
"minimum and no impact environmental activism" within a description of the fundamental values.

Seems like we all agree that while others may engage sea-life more than me, it may not be near violating these principals. But we also agree that others go way too far ! I've seen plenty of beautiful contact with marine life; however, that is not where my complaint lies ! As you mentioned j. Tour sea turtle story not everyone is a graceful as you would be !

Man that dude used to molest everything! Crikey, it's a ________, let me grab it!

Apart from the fact that handling these animals can introduce bacteria and disease that can jump in from the terrestrial world (and if you claim this cannot happen, consult your neighborhood marine biologist or vet), the fact is we need to be all prophylactic about this. Can't leave it up to individuals to determine whether they are "awesome enough" to touch because they know how it's done, because almost all peeps just ain't as awesome as they think. Like open container laws: No good to say its fine to drink behind the wheel, just so long as you aren't drunk yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom