Bahamas Close Call Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

**** man, I just watched that video again. Sheeeeeesh!!! Two very dead people if you hadn't got them, when you got them. Very wow and very super cool what you did.

Quick question - in the video you have some text saying 'something seemed funny to me about these divers' or something like that. What behaviour was it that made you twig that these guys might be needing some assistance? Seriously good call.

And man, I bet your Rescue instructor looked like the cat with the cream. Good job on his part for training you so well.

Cheers,
J

Awesome video. Those guys owe you their life. Being that deep with so little air was a recipe for disaster. I know a lot of divers who would have just said screw it I'm taking care of myself and leaving these morons. It was beyond nice of you to watch over these guys.

Great job!! Good to see you knew what to do, unfortunately not everyone is able or wants to do what you did.
I have been using this video for my DM trainees..a very good example of what is going on nowadays!
No idea if this has been addressed yet, but the DM is a big part of the whole story.
Gr.

In The Drink - the behavior that I noticed was arms waving while swimming which will always mean an uncomfortable diver, also with that comes air consumption and if you look close at the video when I pan down to them they were exhausting a lot of air.

Dusk Diver - Thank you for showing the video in all of your dive master courses. I think the video should be shown in all course levels. I still need to work on my DM, I need to find the time to be able to do all the course work. Maybe I can watch the video in your class! LOL

YOu may have done more for the dive community with that video than any qualified DM could!

You are welcome anytime !!..a bit far away though:D
An important lesson, aside of watching the stupid divers, is noticing that the DM not really controlling the dive.
You say he was already over the reef so he didnt know what was going on?
Thats another thing I have noticed a lot....so they become Divemasters and then it just like "ok guys follow me"...:no:

In The Drink - the behavior that I noticed was arms waving while swimming which will always mean an uncomfortable diver, also with that comes air consumption and if you look close at the video when I pan down to them they were exhausting a lot of air.

Dusk Diver - Thank you for showing the video in all of your dive master courses. I think the video should be shown in all course levels. I still need to work on my DM, I need to find the time to be able to do all the course work. Maybe I can watch the video in your class! LOL

I haven't been on this site for a while and wanted to thank everyone for their comments on the dive. I just recently dove in Cozumel with the instructor that certified me on my rescue and he was all smiles, because he had seen the video, and he also uses the video in his courses as well. We actually did an awesome dive in Playa Del Carmen 3 weeks ago with my dive instructor and we dove with Bull Sharks. I must say that was a rush! My dive instructor was actually doing the dive with us as a recreational dive himself. He had never done it before, and he was only a 45 minute ferry ride from Cozumel for years, so it was a great experience for both of us. It was nice being able to enjoy a dive and not have to cut my dive off early for a couple yahoos! lol

ahpoolman,

I have to agree that was a scarry video. Glad you were thinking. I did not read every page from the begining, did you or someone talk to these divers after the fact and did you have to share air with both for the safety stop?

I have never dove a wall like that but was in a place in Hawaii where something like that could have happened easy if you were not watching the gauges.

Jeff

I won't mention where, but one of my first diving experiences was on a very popular wreck dive. In the course of the week, there was (that I know of) not one, not two, but three OOA incidents with divers at depth. The first was a "boat diver" lost in the ship and found with virtually no air left @ approx 30m.
The second was a supposed divemaster diving with his newly certified GF. He allowed her to go empty on her single at 40m and didn't notice that he'd also pretty much drained his twins. Both relied on donated air (a person staying with us luckily had a pony that came in very handy) and other peoples deco tanks to make it back up. The third.. meh, you get the point. All were saved by stangers or dive guides from other parties. None of them had spent the (paltry) amount of money they charged for a guided tour of this very large, easy to get lost in vessel. Not even for a familiarisation dive.
I wonder how often around the world idiots are rescued by other divers that we never hear about. Most probably don't even know how close they come i'd guess.

ahpoolman,

thanks for posting this video. you saved two peoples lives! Awesome man. I don't know if I would have the balls to go down to 150 ft. Seriously there is a lot to be learned from this video. I have a lot of respect for diving walls. We had some swift down current one time at santa rosa wall in cozumel that was hard to kick against. ive heard of people having to fully inflate their BCD to keep from getting pulled down by the current at that location.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom