Balanced P-valve check valve leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NX32

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi,

I bought a DUX balanced p-valve and decided to test it before actually installing it. I noticed the check valve always leaks at least few drops (depending on the position, but usually way more) - is it normal? When I close the bolt and blow, the check valve doesn't leak any air, but seems like it can leak fluid when there's not a lot of pressure. Should I return it? Seems like that's a copy of an old model LightMonkey balanced, does this always happen with this kind of check valves?

Thanks

dbpv.jpg

I had a similar issue with that style valve. I removed the balancing portion and have not had a leak since.

It shouldn't leak when new. Unfortunately it is pretty common for balanced valves to eventually dribble or worse. I've always plugged mine. Usually a regulator port plug fits perfect.

Thanks, I ended up ordering a different p-valve (Apeks unbalanced) and I'll return this one.

Thanks, I ended up ordering a different p-valve (Apeks unbalanced) and I'll return this one.
Some of those have a one way valve so you have to 'prime' the line before descending to avoid highly unpleasant pinching as the air in the line compresses (not a big deal to do).

Personally I remove the check valve so opening the outer valve allows water to pull in and self prime as you descend. Just have to remember to close valve when no catheter attached to avoid letting water into suit.

Back
Top Bottom