Suggestion Bannings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK gang... give me some input.

What should (if anything) warrant a temp ban (5 day suspension)?

What should (if anything) warrant a perm ban?

chrpai:
Don't confuse having an unpopular opinion ( or unpopular with the vocal minority ) with trolling.
Trust me, Chris, I understand the difference. In fact, I quite enjoy the alternate opinions and perspectives offered by people.

chrpai:
Moderators should be just that, moderate. Not partisan using the power of admin to control the conversation through fear and intimidation.

And above all, remember the diversity of the users is what makes this board good, not some server or some moderator.
I'm not exactly sure what your specific beef is with the moderators but I would have to say that I generally agree with you. As it stands several voices in our community have been silenced yet I have no idea why. For all I know I could be doing the exact same thing they did to get banned right now but I have no idea. All I want is for someone to explain what they did to get banned. I don't want all the dirt, I just want to know what they did for two reasons. First, it will let me know what is acceptable here. Second, if the management and I disagree on what is acceptable I'll use that to decide whether I want to hang out here or not.

cornfed:
Trust me, Chris, I understand the difference. In fact, I quite enjoy the alternate opinions and perspectives offered by people.

I'm not exactly sure what your specific beef is with the moderators but I would have to say that I generally agree with you. As it stands several voices in our community have been silenced yet I have no idea why. For all I know I could be doing the exact same thing they did to get banned right now but I have no idea. All I want is for someone to explain what they did to get banned. I don't want all the dirt, I just want to know what they did for two reasons. First, it will let me know what is acceptable here. Second, if the management and I disagree on what is acceptable I'll use that to decide whether I want to hang out here or not.

Wow, for the second time this year, you and I agree with each other 100%.

chrpai:
Wow, for the second time this year, you and I agree with each other 100%.
LOL, and the year isn't even 3 weeks old yet! :D

DFC5343:
Everyone wants dirt but really its not our bizness.
It's not about the dirt. I think they can explain what happened without making it sound like a tabloid cover story.

cornfed:
It's not about the dirt. I think they can explain what happened without making it sound like a tabloid cover story.

LOL...its almost a Springer episode over on the other thread. We humans are funny creatures!

In times gone by, in another life virtually-elsewhere, things occured as such;

Occurance(s): 72hr ban on the individual(s) in question - this provided a cooling off period for the individual, moderators, and gave a chance to review and determine if it was really an issue warranting banishment

Restoration to normal usage occured more frequently than a ban, however banishment was forever.

Boogie711:
I still maintain that a simple note saying something like "XXXX has been given a 5 day suspension because the moderators, as a group, felt that his behaviour regarding XXXX was in violation of the terms of service, specifically, section XXX. This is his first offence. S/He is welcome to come back, but if it happens again, the ban will be permanent."

This is perfect! I agree with this as well

I know it sounds like a steakhouse ad.
DFC5343 said
Make no rules. Take each incident case by case. Admin on any internet site is hard to please everyone but it IS the internet. Because someone expresses their opinion shouldn't be cause to do anything regardless how much people whine about it. The groups that people put themselves into sometimes can create a lynch mob mentality.
I think he is right on track. Thanks DFC5343

Mike

Here are my observations:
There seems to be allot of shameless self promotiom going on in some of the forms. I realize that some LDS have a loyal following-- but some of these people seem to know more about the LDS training calender and prices than the shops. I manage the corperate advertising for a large marine sector company. If I could generate the same publicity for free I would be a happy person. Is there a way that the board could monitor and profit from some of this blatent self promotion. It seems as if some of the moderators are in on the game. I really enjoy the forms but the spam and baiting is getting to be a bit much. I fear loosing some good company over the dreaded threat of censorship. Although this is a huge board-- it seems the OFWF have been the most active on the complaints. You know the old saying-- where there's smoke your bound to find fire.

I manage the corperate advertising for a large marine sector company. If I could generate the same publicity for free I would be a happy person.
It's not free, but the board here does offer some very reasonable rates on advertising: http://www.scubaboard.com/advertising.php
You can take out a commercial ad for as little as 10 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom