Suggestion Bannings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK gang... give me some input.

What should (if anything) warrant a temp ban (5 day suspension)?

What should (if anything) warrant a perm ban?

WreckWriter:
Perhaps so. Mostly I guess its just a way for me to toss a bit of crap in a direction I think it should go.
I see what you are saying, and I understand there is a bit of a disconnect as far as who was punished for what. Namely, I think you make a good point that if the recent bannings were for that type of behavior that the people in the threads you mentioned should DEFINITELY have been banned since they did it in a much greater volume (myself included).

I guess someone changed the rules recently and hasn't decided to make it retroactive. If they do, oh well, I am sure we can all live with the mods' decision and get on with it.

Retroactive rule changes violate ALL manner of fairness on their face and are nothing other than a vindictive way to "get" someone - you can always find a way to entrap someone with a retroactive change!

However, to the extent that the changes were PROactive, they weren't communicated - at all.

I'm with the other voices saying that consistency in standards and clearly documented standards are important.

Genesis:
you can always find a way to entrap someone with a retroactive change!
The name Pete Rose comes to mind here....but that's a whole can of worms that is totally seperate from this thread....

As a long time user of this board Ive found it to be too inconsistent with it's use of moderation. Either too little or too much. Different countries use different words and phrases. What is acceptable to me is not acceptable to some mods. I know what is socially acceptable but in the past have been told otherwise by mods on this site. I doubt you will ever get a happy medium but sometimes you have to look outside the box you live in.

P.S.
To be fair,truthful and consistent is all we should really give and require.

Wreckwritier......Since you've named me in another post as the un-named moderator, I'll respond.

WreckWriter:
<snip>..... I choose to believe that he and LD simply liked me and wanted to keep me within the "inner circle" here.

Eventually though, other pressures came to bear. As I understand it, one of the other moderators, no names here, decided that she would "take a vacation" from moderating duties until my status was finalized. This did the trick after a few days and my resignation was accepted. I returned to "senior member" status.....<snip>
WW

It's sad that you really believe that's the way your leaving happened. If you were such good friends with KN, a member if the so called 'inner circle', then you would know that none of us had enough influence on KN to make such a demand. He listened to our opinions but he made his own decisions. In those days when Pete was holding the fort, waiting for KN to decide his future, Pete carried out the same rules that KN had in place. I was just one of the peons as were you. I don't remember the time frame but yes, I've taken time away from the board. So have most of the other Mods from time to time. You know that. But to blame me or anyone else for your leaving is simply wrong. I don't even remember if you were asked to leave or if you left voluntarily, I really don't care. I do remember the very attitude that you admit to having played a big part in your leaving.

I don't blame you, I blame myself. I just realize the part you played in it.

cornfed:
Just implement a "You must be taller then this line to log in" policy and you won't have to worry about O-ring any more! :D
You're just jealous because he's so CUTE. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom