Battery Life on Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I bought a Petrel 2 last month and now have 16 dives plus a little over 17 hours logged on it when the battery warning came on yesterday during the dive, I was rather surprised as I was expecting around 35 hours according to the FAQ on the Shearwater website.

Okay I have been playing with it a lot initially just to understand how it works etc., but not for long hours. It did have the original battery in it, so I am not sure how long it was installed.

Anyway I have installed a new Energizer Max AA, and will see if it lasts as it says "on the box"

IMHO Duracells suck as I have had many "new" dead ones, not just here in the Middle East but in UK too, I don't trust them anymore.

I know mine arrived with a Duracell Procell in it they suck. I dont even use the procells in my flashlights at work and we buy them by the case.

Hi Searcaigh,

Depending on how long the battery was in during storage, this may be a reasonable amount of battery life. There is also typically between 5 to 10 hours of battery life remaining once the indicator goes yellow (depends on battery type).

When storing for more than 1 month, we recommend taking out the battery. This is especially important with Alkaline batteries which can leak when fully discharged. The deco tissues and time and date are lost after 15 minutes with the battery removed, but all other settings and logs are permanently stored.

If you are concerned about this we can investigate deeper. Contact us at support at shearwater.com.

Also, the compass is not much of a battery drain at all. The modern electronic compasses are very efficient. It adds about 5% to the base power consumption. This is split roughly equally between the compass circuit and increased rate of screen refresh when displaying the compass.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Tyler, is the permanent settings new on the Petrel 2? I had a battery out of mine *petrel 1 purchased late last year* for about 2 days and the log was empty with the exception of the test dive that you guys sent it through.... Was very surprised to see that comment above

Searcaigh. That's just about identical to my new Petrel 2. Bought it about 1 month ago. Still had original battery and used it for the first time last week. Turned yellow dive 15 (average about 1 hour dives). Did two more dives then changed the battery. I have to say, changing the battery was ridiculously easy.

I usually change to a new battery before I go do a series of dives. The batteries are worth nothing and its easier to change the battery and be assured of continual data than to try and be a cheapskate and milk a few more dives from a $1 component. They also do consume battery life when turned off as well, hence why I replace the battery before a trip.

Still think they are the best Tech computer.

Tyler, is the permanent settings new on the Petrel 2? I had a battery out of mine *petrel 1 purchased late last year* for about 2 days and the log was empty with the exception of the test dive that you guys sent it through.... Was very surprised to see that comment above

Hi tbone1004,

No, the log and settings being permanent is not new. All models have always had permanent settings and log memories. We can investigate your log file to see why the other dives might not be showing up. Please email support at shearwater.com if you would like us to take a look.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Thanks for the feedback Tyler and others.

I will check and see how the new battery lasts over the coming weeks, I usually dive a couple of hours a week, but I have an upcoming trip in July in North Sulawesi where I will be doing quite a few dives over two weeks and will be keeping a log of how long the new battery lasts. Needless to say I will be carrying plenty of spare AAs along with my rechargeable ones.

FWIW, when I received my brand new Petrel 2 computer, I replaced the included battery with an Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery (I got 4 of them for less than $10). While on a dive trip in Cayman last week, the battery finally went in the "red" so I changed it out with another lithium one (luckily I brought a spare with me). From the battery info screen on the computer, the lithium battery lasted approximately 48 hours (of "on" time); I almost always use the compass as well as download my dives via Bluetooth after every dive day. Very pleased with the battery life and simplicity in changing to a new one.

Reactions: Jax

Back
Top Bottom