Battery Life on Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont remember but i think you can use the same battery as in hte predator. Just have to tell the petrel the battery type and the full voltage. ie 3.7v

I have a SAFT in my Petrel 2 right now, which I put in before a trip to Socorro in January...76 dives on that battery.

i've been using Duracell Procells in mine for the last 250 dives or so. Good battery life; probably change the battery out after 12 dives or so (which includes uploading dives each day)

I can't remember if I swapped out the stock AA that came with my Petrel 2 straight away or after a dive or two, but my first Saft in the Petrel 2 just died (inbetween dives, unfortunately. Fortunately had a backup computer with me). According to my Petrel 2 system I had done 32 dives with a total of 35:20h dive time. The yellow battery indicator came on probably just 12-15 dives into using that Saft, which surprised me, but it would show for awhile and then disappear. So, I thought it was just a little bug and admittedly didn't heed the yellow indicator warning much. It came on a little more frequently on this trip I'm on, but would go away too at times. Then I got the red battery sign at the beginning of dive 1 today and by the surface interval the Petrel 2 was completely dead. Just installed a new Saft and hope I get more dives out of it than the last one. I too use the compass on most dives, though I might just end up going back to the analog compass and set the Shearwater compass at the beginning of the dive but not display it unless I need to.

---------- Post added July 16th, 2015 at 06:02 PM ----------

Wow, just had the issues with the Saft battery and posted about it here and not even a day later Shearwater comes out with this update, included is this:

IMPROVEMENT: For 3.6V saft battery type, improved compensation for temperature and current draw for more accurate battery gauge and warning levels.

Looking forward to this fix and all the awesome new features like mini compass display. Rock on, Shearwater!:cool2:

Back
Top Bottom