Battle of computers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They upraded me to a sol.

Nope, ScubaPro bought Uwatec 5-7 years ago, and kept it up for a short while, but they stopped replacing batteries back around 2005/6. Now they offer to let you 'trade up' to another discontinued computer.[/QUOTE]

Want the sweetest computer? Skip the Uwatec and get a Uemis Zurich!

Having an originally $2000 paperweight Aladin NitroX because they won't replace batteries, I'll never buy another Uwatec.

...the only thing more amazing than someone manufacturing a non-user replaceable battery powered computer is that someone would actually buy such a thing....especially at those prices. Being held hostage to some very expensive proprietary battery.....subject to the whims of the manufacturer.....or the bankruptcy of the manufacturer...no thanks!

They upraded me to a sol.

Offered me the SmartZ about two months ago...ScubaPro direct, not a LDS

...the only thing more amazing than someone manufacturing a non-user replaceable battery powered computer is that someone would actually buy such a thing....especially at those prices. Being held hostage to some very expensive proprietary battery.....subject to the whims of the manufacturer.....or the bankruptcy of the manufacturer...no thanks!

Live and learn. It was years ago, and my second computer. Stupid me, I got rid of my Cochran Gemini :dork2:

Having an originally $2000 paperweight Aladin NitroX because they won't replace batteries, I'll never buy another Uwatec.

Yes, when Scubapro bought Uwatec they inherited the AirZ and NitroX with the name brand, which couldn't have the batteries replaced. I can tell you I dealt with several very irate customers. But I can also tell you that if the customer was registered as the original owner that we could get them a new computer for the price of the battery upgrade. This was when the Smart series was the equivelant, so I can't say for now.

But again, if you are the original owner, and registered it, then the LDS should have been on the phone with the SP rep or SP themselves to see what they could have done. If you weren't the original owner, or didn't register it when purchased, then yes - you ended up with a very expensive paper weight.

I wasn't aware the Galileo did trimix or CCR.

I didn't say that and I don't think it does.

The Zurich does do up to 3 Nitrox mixes, and deco planning.
A few sub 1000$ comps do the same.

Great looking display, and it's a cool looking toy! I also have always liked the multi-diver ability.

Absolutely right!

I was trying to compare apples to apples, so I left the VR3 and X1 out of the game.
BTW, $1600USD.

1600$! That put it right in that class with VR's, X1, SW, OSTC, Abyss - but lacking lots of their futures, really important ones IMHO.

One other item, new company. Started May 2009, so I'm waiting to see how they do.

Me, too! Competition between manufacturers is good. I like a new contender.

rgrds
Tomek

Hi all
We from uemis started that project of a new generation of dive computers a while ago to introduce all the new technology finally to that industry.
So we do really not intend to go bankrupt in the next days or months.
An eventual change of accumulator would cost in our house always a reasonable amount of money covering only our own costs. This is a promise we gave from the initial of our project and client support is a real big objective.
Regards
Lukas (CEO uemis)

But again, if you are the original owner, and registered it, then the LDS should have been on the phone with the SP rep or SP themselves to see what they could have done. If you weren't the original owner, or didn't register it when purchased, then yes - you ended up with a very expensive paper weight.

I am the original owner, and, yes, it was registered. Different dive shop on an opposite coast, more interested in selling a replacement than helping me. I contacted SP directly, and they've offered the SmartZ for $350. Considering the SmartZ is no longer on the market, and that I can get other computers for about the same amount, I don't see that as a viable option.

The Mares looks cool, but before you chuck your Sol get a look at it in person. Just because it is in color doesn't mean it will actually be easier to interpret the display.

My Sol is kind of fugly inside and out, but man, it is sure easy to use and easy to read.

If I did deco, I might find fault with how it displays the stops. Maybe the Mares will do it better--looks like it from the pictures but who knows til you see it in operation. But I don't/won't do deco, trimix, gas switches, CCR or SCR so those features are not important to me on any computer.

But I love gadgets, and the more fancy computers on the market, the better!

Seeing a mares Icon upclose with my Galileo will tell the tail of what to do as far as swaping out.
I have had a few learning prob's with my Sol, but it's all operator! I do like the biger screen and the dive log options.

and I'm with you Matt.S on the biger the better the toy!

Brendianer can you give the speck's on your computer? it does look good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom