BC help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

>> Just ask yourself... why do you really want the bungees?

I actually don't. Just wondering if they're as bad as they're made out to be.

doole once bubbled...
>> Just ask yourself... why do you really want the bungees?

I actually don't. Just wondering if they're as bad as they're made out to be.

Well, personally, I don't think they're going to kill anyone by themselves. Accidents are generally made up of a series of problems, and IMO eliminating the bungees can possibly give you an extra chance to break a sequence of problems that would lead to a real accident.

When you buy a bungeed wing from OMS, the bungees don't come on the wing, you have to put them on. You can either use them or not. The bungees are tied on to a fully inflated wing, then you let the air out. Orally inflating is easy as pie. Anyone who tells you otherwise either has never tried it and are just repeating what they've been told or they installed the bungees incorrectly. Also when they are installed correctly they do not trap air. I've owned an OMS bungeed wing for several years and its a great piece of gear.
I get really tired of hearing people repeat the DIR excuse why not to use a bungeed wing. OMS's wings are very well constructed and if you don't want bungees, you simply take them off. The wing works fine without them, but I believe better with them.

You said
I really like the OMS system, but I have a few concerns:
I have read that the back inflation systems keep your face in the water at the surface. I am concerned about choppy water and safety issues etc. Any thoughts on the subject?

Wrek i'm like you Kinda new to this sport. I always rented till lately. I bought my first Bc just recently. and on my first use of it I came up to the surface and inflated my Bc and I said What the Heck!!! my face went flying towards the water. the second dive the same. so when i got got home that night i posted that question on the SB and someone replied just to put enough air in your BC to keep you afloat No More!. so on my next 6 dives i have enjoyed reclining back on the surface. I really love my Dacor Talon AT. hope this helps you. Mike

Well, It seems that there are a lot of good opinions out there.
I have actually scheduled a pool session with my LDS for this sunday.
I will be trying out some BP systems as well as the OMS system. I think the best way to approach this is to just get out and try them before I buy em.

Thanks

inflating mine orally... ever. I also see this as a non-issue raised by those who have never tried it. When I had to finally replace my bungees though, I went with the smallest diameter surgical tubing I could get from Reef Scuba. You don't need much to reap the benefits of the bungees.

The bungees actually will eliminate those pesky air shifts too. Some learn to compensate for them and even use them in their diving (unequal loads, etc) but for many divers the air shift can cause severe disorientation as they try to balance their wings (especially on a single tank). Of course, when I dive my wings with only one tank I use a spreader plate... a thin sheet of aluminum cut 1" larger than a BP and bent to the same angle. This will eliminate the "taco" effect when using a single tank, adding stability to your rig and the ability to reach all of the dumps.

As for the opinions of other divers... very few call them the BWOD. And MOST of those have never tried them.

As for safety... we throw way too much money at gear and not near enough at training. There are all sorts of devices that are supposed to make your diving safer that never address the real issue: Divers do the studipest things! My classes learn one basic truth about how to buy dive gear... "FIT AND COMFORT!" Not having to constantly fiddle with your gear will make you a far safer diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom