BCD for short, but not tiny, woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife is about your size, but shorter. Zeagle Zena, 10 years and 200 dives later, she still loves it. You have measurements taken by a seamstress and it comes in different sections which allows for the waist size, chest size, and torso length to be independently fitted.

Many of the women's BC's should fit you as they are made shorter than the unisex (men's) BC's. You would just have to try them on as they each seem to fit different body types.

Personally, I would instead suggest a short backplate and wing, as others have mentioned. It is infinitely adjustable and an exact fit to your body whether you gain weight or lose weight. I find the 30 lb Halcyon Eclipse wing to be too long and it attaches way too high on the small bp for a very short person with a shorter torso, causing the wing to protrude above the neck/head even if the bp is placed as low as possible. (I suggested years ago to Halcyon that they consider multiple attachment points and/or a shorter wing, and they said they would consider that, but there's nothing yet).

Deep Sea Supply has a slightly shorter bp than the Halcyon and UTD makes a shorter bp/w for people 4'11 and up. Either would fit a petite person well.

I found the switch to a bp/w no issue at all without any training, which is really not necessary. My LDS adjusted it to me and then I adjusted it more very easily later. I tried one in the pool first and it felt just like diving with my women's bc.

Good luck!

My wife is 5'0" and larger than you. There was not going to ever be a jacket that worked. She started with a small Zuma which she likes but there are some real fit issues. We are transitioning her to a BP/W but the one piece harness from DSS is too stiff and where it transitions to go under her arm is too uncomfortable.

We will try several options. First and cheapest is to get a softer webbing which will come as a compromise because stiff holds it's shape better. If that works and I don't suspect it will then we won't have to go further and an added bonus is she can get the purple that she wanted all along.

The next option is to look at making our own sewn harness with the purple webbing and add a ring at the point where the harness needs to turn and go under her arm so it can articulate there instead of needing to twist. This will require the addition of a chest strap to keep the shoulder straps somewhat parallel prior to the articulation.

The third option is to get something like the Diverite transpac harness which is similar to what I just described but is less able to be customized with regard to d-ring placement. It also has adjustment straps which are required by any type of off the shelf rig.

One of the things I like about my BP/W is that after the initial hassle of setting it up and adjusting it, from then on it is perfectly fit to me and I just put it on without any adjustment other than connecting and tightening the waist strap. That is the reason that sewing her a custom harness is option 2 instead of option 3. If I can make her a perfect fit harness in a color that makes her smile it will be worth pulling out the sewing machine. The chest strap seems to me to be the biggest challenge but we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

The hard part about BP/W is getting it set up the first time. After that people sing praises for a good reason. That is also the reason it is a bit harder to shop for it. Buying off the rack is easier but not as likely to be "awesome" or perhaps even tolerable in the long run. The two biggest reasons for being disatisfied with the Zuma is pulling it down constantly because it lacks a crotch strap and not having proper d-rings to clip lights and such to without having to look and or use two hands. There are other niggles but those were the biggies.

I put that harness on both my wife's and daughter's plates. They have worked very well.

@RayfromTX
Short Deluxe Harness

I have several of these harnesses from before I got the long plates from Tobin. They work quite well
Thanks Tom. That is indeed one that we are looking at. The attachments at the articulating ring in the front would be the challenge to re-create. I don't want to derail this thread to be about custom diy harnesses so I'll leave it at that. Thanks again for always being willing to take time to help new divers with equipment choices.

Thanks Tom. That is indeed one that we are looking at. The attachments at the articulating ring in the front would be the challenge to re-create. I don't want to derail this thread to be about custom diy harnesses so I'll leave it at that. Thanks again for always being willing to take time to help new divers with equipment choices.

no problem my friend. they're not hard to recreate, just need a heavy duty enough sewing machine. You could also do it with slide locks but it wouldn't be that graceful.

Hi Ray. I don't think this is a hijack since it directly relates to issues the op may well encounter if she selects a BPW option.

I think I remember you like DIY and have done some harness modifications. I faced the same issue when I setup my freedom plate. The turn with the stiff webbing actually put bruises on my arm/shoulder if I had any significant time in the rig out of the water. Not as much an issue underwater. My search for softer webbing was largely unsuccessful. I elected to make my own harness and add rings just as you described. And because of shoulder issues I also place a quick release. A chest strap may or my not be needed. I use one for any significant hike shore diving but do not need it boat diving.

As for webbing, the stiffer, the harder to sew. My machine will sew it but the needles, even the heavy jean needles, tends to bend when it hits the weave, hitting the face plate of the machine and then breaking. I found that sewing very slowly and sometimes actually turning the wheel by hand helps. This allows the needle to gently pierce the webbing or more often bend very slightly and slid between the weave. And I know you mentioned purple webbing but I have found the color webbing to be even stiffer then the black. I have a length of pink that for me is unusable it is so stiff.

We are transitioning her to a BP/W but the one piece harness from DSS is too stiff and where it transitions to go under her arm is too uncomfortable.

I had the same discomfort under the arms initially that caused me to re-adjust the harness and the problem was instantly solved. The webbing was too tight around the shoulders and the D-rings were right in my underarms with thick exposure protection, which was causing the discomfort. I just loosened up the straps and I had no more discomfort. I also moved the D-rings down a little to where my hands naturally went for clipping/unclipping. Try and see if that helps. The webbing should become less stiff over time with use, also.

backplate and wing is going to be your best bet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom