Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are FL caves as well as the WI mine I dive all winter. I don’t plan on going back to MX.
Congrats but don’t rule Mexico out. I’d dive mx any day over Florida. We have just as much heat and just as many bugs and skeeters. As you dive places like Mexico more you’ll figure out how to make life easier (you’ll figure out how to keep mosquitoes at bay, how to deal with the heat, best ways to gear up to minimize sun and bug exposure). Taj maha is one of the worst “training” caves for mosquitoes imo. I get bit up there too. The coils are really a night and day difference but you got to light the, asap and place strategically. There are much worse places there (mosquito factory and tortuga for example). But there are other caves you won’t see a mosquito.
If you stick with cave diving and get more experience you’ll quickly learn that some of the best and most enjoyable sites don’t have benches, bathrooms, or anything other than a trail leading to the water. There are also other places to cave dive such as France, which is amazing topside.
Point is the mosquitoes suck but it’s something you get used to and learn to deal with. I got dengue fever 3 years ago in mx from a mosquito bite. It was miserable. I had to have my wife take me to the er at 3am. But I still would go to mx any chance I get

You left out the worst part of MX diving - the air travel. **** that.

At the WI mine, there are no facilities. You walk a bit across a small stream and into the woods to do your business. But it’s cold and I drive there.

Perhaps don’t wave your commercial broker license to TSA and further, not lament about the finger f******* you mentioned you received above?

You can drive, it just takes a few days.

It isn't as bad when you make it a long trip. I think if I go to Mexico next I want to do two months. Dive two or three days a week. Work and relax the remaining days.

At the WI mine, there are no facilities. You walk a bit across a small stream and into the woods to do your business. But it’s cold and I drive there.
I must've misinterpreted your reason. I guess I'm the opposite. I'm happy to travel to dive. I won't lie it's a pain. My wife and I dive together and typically dive ccr, so it's alot of heavy bags and a pain but I always feel it's worth it. The first time we dove the Lot in France we went to Paris as well. That one was a mistake. Trying to get around Paris with loads of dive gear (no ccr at that point) really sucked. But I also despised Paris.
I had plans to go to Truk this past June for a ccr trip but it was still closed, and I really want to dive the caves in China which would be some serious travel and headaches. But I'm happy to deal with a little discomfort to go on a trip most people in the world will never do. Eventhough there are a ton of cave divers in MX, we're all still the minority in the grand scheme of things. Very few Americans go to France or China to dive the caves. I will never be a cave explorer and have stories to tell on my death bed about it. But I will be able to die knowing I really enjoyed myself traveling and cave diving places most never do. That makes the travel headaches worth it.

You can drive, it just takes a few days.

It isn't as bad when you make it a long trip. I think if I go to Mexico next I want to do two months. Dive two or three days a week. Work and relax the remaining days.
If I had a job that allowed me to work remotely I'd be in Mexico as much as I could. I'm envious of people that can drop everything and go on extended trips.

@rddvet

My first love and passion remains Great Lakes shipwrecks. The cave diving is something to do in the winter to keep diving year round.
Great Lakes and canadian destinations like Tobermory are high on my list. The biggest reason I haven't been yet is simply the logistics of figuring out best boats, areas to stay, etc. And the cold. One of my newer buddies is a great lakes diver from Chicago so I plan to lean on him for info so I hopefully make it up there one day.
I also rarely OW dive, but that's changing. Constantly diving caves has greatly degraded my ow deco skills, so I've been doing some training to perfect those skills. We all joke cave divers are the upper echelon of diving, but if you put most of us in a blue water deco situation and we are way out of my element. It's pretty damn easy to lay on a rock and suck on O2.

Congrats on the full cave Marie. Little did I know it was you I talked to yesterday at Taj. Small SB world.

Joe (from Houston)

Congrats on the full cave Marie. Little did I know it was you I talked to yesterday at Taj. Small SB world.

Joe (from Houston)

OMG! Very small SB world. Wow! Thanks! Very glad to be done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom