Beer and rehydration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doubler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I found this article interesting after our beer and diving discussion:

KANSAS CITY, Missouri - Forget water or Gatorade. The drink of choice to rehydrate after a workout is beer.

Researchers at Granada University in Spain found beer can help retain liquid better than water alone.

The results were published in the British newspaper The Telegraph.

The study involved a group of students. They were asked to work out until their body temperature reached 104 degrees.

Researchers then gave beer to half of the students and water to the other half.

They said the bubbles in the beer help quench thirst while the carbohydrates help make up for burned calories.

A cardiologist with the Real Madrid football team told the paper he has long recommended beer to professional sportsmen after exhausting activities.

Being a health and fitness freak i will try to explain this in simple words.

Drinking alcohol after working out can cause a lot of problems. It reduces muscle growth, it dehydrates you even more than before, and so many other things. One of them is heat loss increase. If your diving thats probably a no no.

Drinking beer will certianley fill you up, but your body is craving for some sort of electrolyte to replace what was sweated out and some sort of food like pasta can help replenish those lost carbs. Water and Gatorade and a healthy diet are much better than beer.

The short term hydration outweighs the long term dehydration!

I've been a fan of this theory for a long time. :)

Being a health and fitness freak i will try to explain this in simple words.

Drinking alcohol after working out can cause a lot of problems. It reduces muscle growth, it dehydrates you even more than before, and so many other things. One of them is heat loss increase. If your diving thats probably a no no.

Drinking beer will certianley fill you up, but your body is craving for some sort of electrolyte to replace what was sweated out and some sort of food like pasta can help replenish those lost carbs. Water and Gatorade and a healthy diet are much better than beer.
  • What electrolytes are present in beer?
  • Does the type of beer matter in terms of its rehydration/dehydration potential?
  • What is the precise mechanism (physiological, molecular, endocrinologic) by which beer intake inhibits muscle growth?

Hyper Dick called happy hour at Sharky's a safety stop when I was hanging out in Key Largo; wonder if his "round table" is still in use?

He referred to beer and salty peanuts as a saline solution, lubricating nitrogen flushing.

Mr. Rutkowski also scoffed at carbonated beverages being offered on charter boats; even to a small extent bottled water. Saline solution lubricates flushing; High-C has the highest sodium content.

I'm not sure The Telegraph is a respected source of scientific information. Or anything, really.

I wish I could remember the name, but there was one beer at Sharkey's I really liked. Something nautical sounding, likely a pale ale.

Water and Gatorade and a healthy diet are much better than beer.

Gatorade has too much sugar to be healthy for most people

halemanō;5833633:
Hyper Dick called happy hour at Sharky's a safety stop when I was hanging out in Key Largo; wonder if his "round table" is still in use?

Dick still holds court every night, but he has moved east a few feet to a table near his chamber facility.

I do admit, after the LAST dive I do drink some beers(2)
BUT I doubt that it rehydrates,(alcohol does not) you do need to pee more :D
Gatoraid, no thank you, to much sugar and a crappy taste.
Water will do just fine in between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom