Belize Diving Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JRRKAR

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I received a voucher in the mail yesterday from the Belize Tourism Board saying I won a trip for two to Belize for a week. I signed up at the Beneath the Sea Dive Expo a few weeks ago. The package includes 3 nights at The Villas at Banyan Bay in San Pedro and three nights The Inn at Roberts Grove in Placencia Peninsula, along with all the connecting flights in Belize. My wife and I talked about going to Belize sometime but didn't think about it for this year. The deal is good till November of this year. We still would have to pay for airfare, diving and food. So it's not a free trip, just a little less expensive trip. We were considering going and maybe staying a few extra days. So my questions are:
1. Did anyone ever stay at any of these places, and if so..how was it?
2. If you were going to stay and dive and/or site-see an extra few days, would you stay in San Pedro or Placencia?
3. Is the BLue Hole trip a MUST DO?
4. What dive sites and/or things to do would you recommend?

From my brief understanding, San Pedro has the better diving but Placencia is more remote and more untouched areas. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

I'd check to see if it was meant to be time share presentation...Happened to me last year for a "FREE" bahama's trip.....they were kinda pushy and our time was not our own....as there were required attendances at presentations....overall not a bad trip......didn't buy the time share though.......good luck!

A Time Share scheme was my first thought. My wife got mad because I rained on her parade. But then I reminded her of a trip we "won" last year to Florida. After all the nice talk from the operator on the other end, I can right out and asked if this was a time share deal and she acknowleded that it was. I said "Sorry, not interested".

I talked to the people at the Belize Tourism Board today and she said they gave two of these trips away from the dive expo. She just said to let her know what days we would be in Belize and she would take care of all the arrangements. So it sounds like a legit deal. IT'll still be about $2500 for flights, food and dive...but it would be $1000 cheaper than doing a package deal from a travel agent. So we have not totally decided as of yet. That's why I'm looking for info.

Dude, where are you flying in from? For $2500 my wife and I can spend a week in Roatan or the Caymans where the diving is WAY better than what you get off of Ambergris or Placencia. I understand the lure of the "free" rooms at the resort is attractive, but for that kind of money you can do much better.

That being said, if you decide to do it anyways, the places I would recommend to stay longer between Placencia or Ambergris depend on what is important to you. Ambergris has very short boat rides to most of the dive sites, like 5 minutes or so. From Placencia most good sites are more like 45 minutes. However Placencia is closer to the diving in the atolls which is the best diving in Belize. As far as the Blue Hole, given the choice of diving Blue Hole or diving The Elbow on Turneffe Atoll, I would choose the Elbow. If you are a "been there done that bought the t-shirt" kind of person (nothing wrong with that if you are), the Blue Hole is a nice checkoff on the list, but from what I was told by many people who have done both, there is not really alot to look at inside the Blue Hole, and once the novelty of the walls wears off, the rest of the dive can be kind of boring.

Good Luck and let me know if I can answer any other questions.

AggieDiver

JRRKAR once bubbled...
So my questions are:
3. Is the BLue Hole trip a MUST DO?
4. What dive sites and/or things to do would you recommend?
Jeff,

The blue hole is a good dive, it's not outrageous, but is very different than the rest of the diving there. Last time I did that dive, we saw some really big sharks. It's not gorgeous, but etherial and very cool. I'd say that it is definitely worth it because of the reef around it, and because of Half Moon Caye, which boats take divers to for lunch or to camp overnight. (see photo). It has to be my most favorite place on the planet. All is well with my chi when I am on that tiny island. :japanese:
It is a day trip by boat from most of the resort islands, and I would say do it, definitely. I have been there twice, and both times, it was the highlight of the week.

We go to Belize frequently, and only to San Pedro. While the diving on the reef is above average and close to the town, the real deal in out at the atolls, which require a day trip to visit. A full day for the Blue Hole, and another day for the Turneffe Elbow.

There were about 30 sharks at the Blue Hole when we last went there, but for only a seven minute bottom time dive, it was pretty quick. The other dives on the trip are outstanding, however. The Turneffe Elbow dives also were very good.

My wife and I love Belize, and San Pedro in particular. Unlike most of the rest of the island spots, the sand flies are at a minimum on Ambergris Caye. This is important if you have ever spent a week or so at a place where those no-see-ims florish.

We have seen plenty of interesting marine life on our trips to Belize, so going there is more then worth it. We also prefer the food in Belize compared to Honduras or Costa Rica - by a wide margin. And with a mimimum of a bug problem (they still have 'some' no-see-ims). we will be going back.

We took most of our advanced dive courses at Amigos Del Mar, including most of our specialty dives, so we are a bit biased about San Pedro.

JoMal

I was in Belize last summer on San Pedro and inland. The diving was great off San Pedro and we did the Blue Hole trip. The Blue Hole itself was very cool and totally different from all the rest of the dives we did that week. The other 2 dives we did that day were spectacular wall dives, also different from the spur and groove off San Pedro.

I was in Placencia for the weekend but didn't do any diving there, from what I heard the big fun is dropping divers in "bottomless" ocean and hanging out waiting for whale sharks, but I didn't investigate so I'm not sure how valid that is.

If you're interested in doing something "really" different for the extra couple days you want to spend, go into the interior. I spent a lot of time in San Ignacio and that's a much truer picture of Belize than the cayes or Placencia. From there you can go to Caracol or Xanantunich, Maya ruins. The big bonus is everything is about 1/2 the price.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me. I spent a total of 5 weeks in Belize and have a decent grasp on what's what, especially in San Ig.

Rachel

All very good info on Belize.
Like was said, why do you think it will cost 2500.00 for air/ food and dives?
Check Air Jamaica. They run service from the US to Belize City now. It's only a short puddle jumper after that, to Ambergris, and you said that was included.
Food wasn't expensive on San Pedro. And dives were 65.oo for 2 tanks. The Blue Hole is much more costly, but includes your lunch for that day, and it's a longer boat ride out there.

If you don't go to the Blue Hole, and eat reasonably, it should be about 500.00 each for air, and maybe another 300.00 for dives each, and 6 days of food, at 50.00 a day, should bring it down a bit. Bring granola bars for breakfast, or tuna cans for lunch to help bring the food prices down if you're that strapped.
If you don't add the extra days you should be able to swing it under 2500.00.
Have fun. It's worth it.

I ahve a sail boat in charter in Belize it is at times in Placencia and other times San Pedro. There is more to in in San Pedro in that there are more people. On the air fare issue it is usually around $500.00 round trip per person.

Thanks for the info all. The $2500 may be a little high. From Baltimore to Belize is about $400 each for the flight. I was figuring about $100 a day for all the food and $130 a day for diving (for the both of us). I think we are going to stay for an extra 2 days while we are there. So I think the $2500 would be close. The places that were included in the package are 5 star resorts. I saw package deals for about $800 per person (for hotel and diving). The places where we would be staying are probably on the higher end. We would be saving at least $800 for the week. Like I said...not a free trip just a little less expensive trip. Once we get to Belize all the island air is included. This includes the flight from Belize Int. to San Pedro and back, and then from Belize Int. to Placencia and back. These flights were about $50 per person each way. That saves $400. In addition we would get to spend time in two different places.

I think we are going to go. The more info. we find, the more excited my wife gets. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom