Best Anti-Fog for tec divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not many but the bottom line is tec divers stay down longer debate that you wanna clear your mask ever 10 seconds for a two hour dive i dont think so

Well my longest dive has only been 2hrs 45mins, not 8hrs but I spat in my mask before the dive and didn't need to clear it for the whole dive :)

I sometimes use baby shampoo + water, sometimes use commercial defog (I currently have the stuff that comes in a white bottle with an orange top - can't remember the brand and don't care to go look), and sometimes don't use any at all since I'm literally diving in a huge bucket of defog.

If you have to clear every 10 seconds (or whatever realistic interval lead to that absurd exaggeration), you need to clean your mask. No amount of defog will keep a dirty mask clear.

I suggest a mod move this to Basic.

Most fog is caused by the temp difference, which goes away once submersed. I've found that cleaning my mask with soft and scrub often fixes the issue. For dirty a dirty mask, sea gold works great. For a clean mask, you don't have to use anything.

Works for dives up to a bit over 3 hours, can't comment on anything longer than that.

Most fog is caused by the temp difference, which goes away once submersed.

How do you figure? The air trapped in my mask is certainly being warmed by the heat generated by my face (I mean this physiologically, but I'm hot) and the air I exhale into the mask to equalize it. The water on the other side of the glass is often in the 50s, 40s, or 30s F.

How do you figure? The air trapped in my mask is certainly being warmed by the heat generated by my face (I mean this physiologically, but I'm hot) and the air I exhale into the mask to equalize it. The water on the other side of the glass is often in the 50s, 40s, or 30s F.
Chris,

This is what we call a temperature difference :D

The effect goes away once submersed for a while because all the water has condensed. I guess you could get fog back if you exhaled enough moist air back into your mask, but even then I bet the air temperature in the mask is less of a difference than it was on the surface (depending on where you're at).

Thanks, speedyal, I'll take your advice on my next "tech" dive. I guess spit hasn't been working...

Listen i was replying to your comment about rec divers debate it if it makes you fell better or just grow up and be an adult about the situation the question was easy two answer it didnt require a snide question regarding rec vs tec

Yeah, one I assure you doesn't go away once submerged! Having a mask ripped off in waters in the 30sF is PAINFUL! :)
That's why we vacation in northern states and live in warm states :popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom