Best Dry Glove Ring System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look to be very similar/same as the Kubis. I'd go so far as to say one of them may have gotten the idea from the other. I wonder how long these guys have been producing them. I thought Kubis were the original but could be wrong. They look nice. I'd love to see some in the flesh. What was the cost if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, they are very similar, but I think Stief was first (dating back to 1994).
I ordered the larger rings with 91mm in diameter with the butyl gloves and some replacement o-rings.
Price was around € 250,- including shipment.
They are really easy to attach and if you put vaseline on the o-rings from time to time donning and doffing
is quite easy.
I have put them on my new Santi e.motion, if that is of interest.....

Thank you for your reply. I've been using the Kubis on my Emotion for a couple of years, zero leaks. Like you I found, despite instructions saying otherwise, that putting a small amount of grease on the sealing O ring made on/off much easier particularly when they were new. I'm about to get the Kubi fitted rings fitted to my suit. Being able to quick change wrist seals is appealing. I also found, again despite instructions saying otherwise, that the thicker Showa gloves can be successfully fitted. Cheers.

Hope you´ll be happy with your Kubis!
Actually, the instructions even say that if you don´t apply a little grease to the o-rings when attaching them to the wrist seal, it is almost impossible to get the two aluminum rings together correctly....
Which means that those rings are made very precisely. Same applys to the rings where the glove "connects".
So you do have to use some grease every other dive on the o-rings...
I like them a lot!

Being able to quick change wrist seals is appealing.

I think I am going to get the Kubi kit. When I talked to one of the guys at DRiS about it, they told me that I *could* put a replacement latex wrist seal in, essentially, on top of the existing wrist seal.

In other words, if I were using the regular kit (not the newer rings that are permanently installed on the suit), and I tore a wrist seal, as long as the tear is on the part past the Kubi ring, I could take the ring out, position a replacement wrist seal on top of the existing wrist seal, then reinstall the Kubi ring so that the O-ring is gripping both wrist seals, and use it that way.

This led me to think that I probably needn't worry about installing the permanent rings.

Any chance you have a replacement latex wrist seal that you could use to test this theory?

That's sounds off to me, I'm not convicted that is possible. Let me get my suit out and give it some thought. I'll post back. Having said that DRIS know what they're talking about so if they say it's possible then it more than likely is, I'm just having a hard time seeing exactly how. After giving it a few minutes thought sorry DRIS I don't think that will work. It's late here I'll look into it tomorrow.

---------- Post added September 24th, 2015 at 09:36 AM ----------

If the seal is torn above the ring and you're using the dry gloves then you wouldn't need a replacement seal, unless you're talking about diving sans gloves?

---------- Post added September 24th, 2015 at 09:37 AM ----------

Ilol post back tomorrow after looking at my suit. Cheers.

---------- Post added September 24th, 2015 at 09:47 AM ----------

I don't see how this would work as the sealing O ring is internal not external. It would be near if not impossible to fit another seal over the the top and then seat the O ring. I could wrong, hopefully DRIS can clarify how they think this would work. I just can't see it happening. My suit is in my closet where my baby is sleeping I don't want toward him up.

Ok, I looked at my suit and do not see how it would be possible to use another seal over the top and have it seal, I think the information you were given is incorrect.

image.jpgimage.jpg

The top groove you can see is not a sealing O ring but just to keep bottom internal seal from popping out and to protect seal.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2015 at 06:47 AM ----------

As a rule I don't like to use absolutes but in this case I'm going to. I believe it's not possible. Now I'll be proven wrong lol.

So, if you turn the sleeve inside out and insert the ring, then you put the o-ring on, which pinches the wrist seal material into a groove on the ring, you're saying if you actually put a second latex seal on top of the one that's attached to the suit, and then put the O-ring on to pinch both seals into the groove, the latex would be too thick and it wouldn't work?

Another way of thinking of it: If the original stock latex seal were twice as thick, it would not work? Because, if being twice as thick would still work, then it seems like adding a second one that is simply not glued to the sleeve would also work.

I see two problems. The first being as you suggest, I don't think the O ring will seal properly in the groove as it will be too thick. The O ring and groove have very tight tolerances, you can't for example use HD seals with this system. Having said that if you could find a different sized O ring, thinner and a slightly smaller diameter it may be possible. The other problem I see is once the second seal is placed on the inside of the other seal i.e inside the suit (it would go under the existing seal not over) flipping the ring or the sleeve outside in would be very difficult, it's quite hard with just one seal. It "might" be possible assuming you can find a different O ring but but I think it would be quite a difficult undertaking to assemble. I'll see if I can source locally a cheep latex seal and I'll give it a go. I'm about to send my suit to DRIS to get the fitted rings installed. If I can find a seal in the next few days I'll give it a go as am now kind of curious. I'll post back if I'm able to get a seal to try.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2015 at 05:33 PM ----------

I'm not sure if you have the fitting instructions, if not and you want them PM me and I'll email them to you. A picture speaks a thousand words and all that. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom