Best Lake Michigan Wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are some nice wrecks on the eastern side of Lake Michigan. Here is a charter that I used. Their web site isn't up to date, so I don't know if they are still running.

Obsession Charters, L.L.C. - 1-616-847-2908 - West Michigan Shipwreck Diving

Gordon quit running charters last year. Tim Marr still runs them Advance Scuba & Paintball

Most of the nice wrecks are deep over here but are some of the best in Lake Michigan. The Hennepin is the Great Lakes first self unloader in 230' of water. Then there is the SS Michigan and Akeley in 270' of water which are both awesome wrecks.

JT

NOAA is considering creating another National Maritime Sanctuary other than Thunder Bay, along that coast of Wisconsin with good reason.

I just wanted to add my name to the list of "If you ever want to dive up there, give me a call" Dale has a really roomy boat. The Wisconsin is really great, but best done as a deco dive. I like diving with Jerry and his boat. I've heard great things about Jitka as well. Farther up in Manitowoc, I don't know anyone other than Greg Such running the Little Alexandria. I've also dove with Jim Gentile out of Chicago, and recommend him as well. I organize a couple charters each year, anyone is welcome aboard.

Tom

You guys have all mentioned excellent dive sites. Maybe I missed it, but my favorite is the Walter B. Allen. Simply beautiful. I noticed that Door County was mentioned but nothing about the Bay of Green Bay in Menominee, MI. Not that photo ops are a great thing there, but there are some pretty nice wrecks (personally, I'm a Hackley and Brown fan). Good viz is always guaranteed in the spring. After that it's what we call Helen Keller diving....

Well, I mentioned the ER Williams. It has to be close to being in the Bay of Green...and let me tell you it was a GREEN dive! I have the video to prove it as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom