Best priced high quality BP/wings combo???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacket style backplate? Is that a serious question?

I don't beleive they do, one of the awsome things about a BP is the back inflation / non jacket style of the rig.

If you're only going to dive singles and still haven't bought, I suggest looking at the Jet Harness set up. It's specifically designed for single tank use, where as all other plates are designed for doubles, with modifications (cam strap slots, STA) for single tanks. If a small wing (27 lbs) is enough lift for you, you can get the plate, wing, and straps for about $200. Add a single piece harness and a couple of pockets for weights and you're around $250. That's really the lowest price I've found; so far I've only used mine in the pool, but the wing has PLENTY of lift for me with a 3 mil. There's a thread on the BC forum about this stuff.

Scubakevdm:
Do they have jacket style backplates? I don't like all that flotation back there where I can't see what it's up to.
Are you trolling? Why do you need to see the wing? The only thing you really need to see is the inflator.

Daryl Morse:
Are you trolling? Why do you need to see the wing? The only thing you really need to see is the inflator.
I'm not sure. I can see the advantage of moving the plate to the front. The diver is still as streamline, but has a good visual feedback for what his wing is doing.

JeffG:
I'm not sure. I can see the advantage of moving the plate to the front. The diver is still as streamline, but has a good visual feedback for what his wing is doing.
I presume you meant "wing" not "plate".

Anyway, I just started using a bp/w recently, and I like it so much I'm getting one. I'll be diving my very own rig for the first time next weekend!

I've used a bp/w with and without a sling bottle and I think one of the major benefits is the fact that the bladder is out of the way. The only feedback I need is whether I'm sinking or not, but YMMV.

Daryl Morse:
I presume you meant "wing" not "plate".
The same thing. The wing attaches to the plate, so it better to think of them as one unit.

Scubakevdm:
Yes! Quite right! You share my vision of the technical equipent of the future...The chest plate. Just think of the advantages it offers over those antiquated back plates of yesterday.

Well, it sure would make valve drills a lot easier ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most divers are unaware of the great amount of heat lost in the chest area during diving. This innovative concept not only adresses this oft-overlooked problem, but also provides additional protection of vital organs from errant spears in murky water. Please send me one immediately (curved version, in black please).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom