Best scuba destination for Xmas: Raja Ampat or The Philippines?

Where should I scuba this Christmas?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the boat January 6th - 17th. I suspect we will arrive in Sorong at least one day early on the 5th. Maybe if I see the Amira those few days we are both on the water I will swim over!:)

Likewise. :D

I'll join your trip in one of these days.

I also will be there with Putri Papua from Dec 24, 2019 to Jan 3, 2020. Flying home (Houston) on Jan 4, 2020 & flying back to RA on Jan 10, 2020.

I’m sure there’s a very good reason for this...but why fly back home and then back to RA in 6 days???

I’m sure there’s a very good reason for this...but why fly back home and then back to RA in 6 days???

Because Dan_T is a multimillionaire that has his own private jet and can afford such things.

That's the week when everyone is back to work from holiday season & makes plans and sets meetings to discuss the projects for the year.

I was invited to join this Amira trip, which is a special Larry Smith Memorial trip, that I don't want to miss. I wish they picked a better time and before I booked the Putri Papua trip.

For those who don't know Larry Smith, he was one of the dive pioneers that made Lembeh, WaKaToBi, Komodo & Raja Ampat known as world class dive sites as we know today.

Larry Smith passes away in Indonesia ::
Larry Smith Passes Away

Last edited:
That’s one of the reason you go on liveaboard, instead of staying in a resort. We visited to Penemu & Wayag in several of my RA liveaboard cruises. So, it’s better off exploring other parts of Indonesia besides RA.
Hello.
I would love to see Wayag but am only finding liveaboards that go to Pianemo during my dates. Did you find the Wayag area that much better/different than Pianemo in terms of diving and scenery? If so I'll try to find a liveaboard that covers both. Thank you!

Hello.
I would love to see Wayag but am only finding liveaboards that go to Pianemo during my dates. Did you find the Wayag area that much better/different than Pianemo in terms of diving and scenery? If so I'll try to find a liveaboard that covers both. Thank you!

Stick with Penemu (recently changed name to Piaynemo). Wayag has a better top site view, but much harder to get to the top. It has no wooden stairs all the way to the top like in Penemu.

I’m a bit of adventurous, so I like doing this easy rock climbing to the top of Wayag, but you definitely need to be very very careful. it has sharp limestone rocks that could easily cut / badly injured you if you slip & fall. You are in a remote island in the middle of no where.

Wayag underwater side is just OK. Nothing like Melissa’s Garden in Penemu. You won’t miss much for not going to Wayag IMHO.

Stick with Penemu (recently changed name to Piaynemo). Wayag has a better top site view, but much harder to get to the top. It has no wooden stairs all the way to the top like in Penemu.

I’m a bit of adventurous, so I like doing this easy rock climbing to the top of Wayag, but you definitely need to be very very careful. it has sharp limestone rocks that could easily cut / badly injured you if you slip & fall. You are in a remote island in the middle of no where.

Wayag underwater side is just OK. Nothing like Melissa’s Garden in Penemu. You won’t miss much for not going to Wayag IMHO.

Thank you SO much for the great reply. Unfortunately I have 'FOMS'...'Fear of Missing Something' so it's great to know that I can choose a liveaboard based on other criteria besides Wayag. Right now I have a problem with my foot so the climbing on sheer rocks wouldn't be great.
Now I just have to decide between a land based resort or the liveaboard. This will be a 'pre' week to a week at Misool Eco Resort so I'm trying to be budget friendly since MER is so expensive....although worth it!
I'm looking at Sea Safari 8 or a new boat called Sinar Pagi for a bit higher end and the 'Kira Kira' for a budget boat. I don't mind rustic but am not sure just how rustic it is.
Land I am looking at Raja Ampat Biodiversity or the Dive Lodge although they are harder to communicate with.
Thank you again. I love this forum. So grateful for the help!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom